• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1974 Tii front brake identification

VeroTii

All,

I have the brakes apart.  Yes, there is a thin spacer.  Is that a stock item?  Pistons are definitely 40mm and in decent shape.  I am going to do a rebuild and should be good to go.  Thanks for everyone's input.

New question:  I think I should repack the bearings as long as I am in there.  I did not buy a new inside bearing seal.  Do I need to?  is there a "safe" way to remove the existing one without damaging it?

IMG_1640.jpg

IMG_1642.jpg

• Like 2

OK.  I was trying not to reorder the seals, wait and pay crazy shipping.  Ugh.

Are the spacers a performance upgrade.  I have a feeling the PO was a rally guy.  It has lots or rally-type upgrades (including a Metro Mechanics rally motor).

The spacers are not originally installed and could be for increasing track width and/or wheel/tire fender clearance/appearance other purposes are for various compensation for non stock wheel offset if not running stock wheels. Clean/Inspect the bearings and definitely replace wheel seals as it is best practice. You don`t want grease slinging toward brake pad contact surfaces. Try to make sure you have spare seals and cotter pins for regular maintenance if you plan on driving the car. Wheel seal dimensions are 45X62X7 mm BMW part number 31212634108

Edited by Mikesmalaga72

24 minutes ago, VeroTii said:

OK.  I was trying not to reorder the seals, wait and pay crazy shipping.  Ugh.

Take the seal to a good auto parts store or bearing house, some American cars from the 60s and 70s used the same seal as the tii.

• Like 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

New development.  I pulled the rotor and cleaned it up with the idea that the seal might be OK and I could save the time ordering new ones (I know, that is soooo wrong).  It turns out the 50 year old bug bit and the inner bearing race has a pit in it.  It runs smooth but I just will not put it back that way.  So, I am going to order a new bearing kit (that comes with a new seal) and do it right.

As a retired mechanical engineer who is turning himself into a retirement mechanic, I can't tell you how much I appreciate this forum.  You guys are the best.

IMG_1643.jpg

• Like 3

...bearings are trivial for the fronts of the 2002- I find that they are quite a lot

cheaper bought individually.  Any decent quality name is good- SKF, Koyo, National,

etc etc etc.  

And damage like that is a bit unusual- the tii fronts last for years when kept greased... on a race car.

Maybe water got in?  or junk...

t

• Like 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Not sure about the cause.  Could have been that way for decades and may have been good for decades more.  Sometimes it is better not to look but now I can't un-see it.  I'm just investing the $50 for peace of mind.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, TobyB said:

...bearings are trivial for the fronts of the 2002- I find that they are quite a lot

cheaper bought individually.  Any decent quality name is good- SKF, Koyo, National,

etc etc etc.  

I agree with Toby.  Check RockAuto, they have great prices on high quality bearing brands.

Karl B.

1974 2002tii Malaga ("Conrad") -->> Conrad's Restoration Blog

2003 330i ZHP 6-spd

2011 328i xDrive

Bearings have a standard bearing number etched on the side of the race.  Any bearing supplier might have the bearing in stock.  All they need is the std number.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.