• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hood Seal Position

47 minutes ago, visionaut said:

Above the hood, yes. Under the hood, no.

Drive with the hood unlatched and at about 65 mph the hood will begin to lift but not so far that the down the road vision is obscured.  If you haven't done it before, try it.

• Haha 1

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

1 hour ago, jimk said:

Drive with the hood unlatched and at about 65 mph the hood will begin to lift

I could believe that, though I’ll take your word for it Jim…lol

The 02 hood is a bit of a mixed bag, with that slotted section at the rear above the heater box allowing air to pull thru, eliminating a lot of the high pressure on the hood rear. (And being separated from the engine bay in front). Add the completely open front grille below the hood, and no lower aero to keep air passing below the car rising up into the bay, the engine compartment picks up a lot of turbulent air, moving in lots of directions. It’s unclear to me whether the hood lifts at speed due to under hood air flow  or the hood shape itself lifting from flow forces like a wing.

SoM was referring to 60s/70s muscle cars with hood scoops facing rearward taking advantage of that pressure at the base of the windshield, which is real and not insignificant. ( I did my senior Aero project on hood scoops.)  It’s equivalent to what a proper splitter induces downforce-wise.

Edited by visionaut
typo king

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

3 hours ago, visionaut said:

I believe picture 2 is correct John..,🙃

I think I dun did it... 

The old ones I removed weren't really old, but were repros made out of let's say a substandard rubber-like material.  Those ones reacted with the normal Wurth weather strip glue and turned into a sticky mess.  They've been on my car for a few years.  Now replaced with new good ones from W & N.  The sticky ones will be thrown away...

SideNew1.jpg

SideNew2.jpg

SideNew3.jpg

SideOld.jpg

• Like 1

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️