• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tiger 500 CDI Box

JohnS

An ebay relic that I rescued.  I've always seen Mike Self mention these.  Kinda cool, but where did most folks mount the fairly large box?  

Do I need it on my stock car?  Probably not.  Would it make a difference since I already run a Pertronix?  Probably not.  Still makes for a cool vintage piece.  A Flux Capacitor!

Tiger500_1.jpg

Tiger500_2.jpg

Tiger500_3.jpg

• Like 2

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

John, your PerTronix is an actually the BEST way to trigger a CDI. ( vs points).

Duals or a big cam would definitely merit running it, stock not so much. But it wouldn’t hurt anything and might benefit a bit. It’ll help most below 3000 rpm.

The on/off switch would let you try it out and directly compare with to without… :)

It likely hooks up like an MSD with the PerTronix. If you’re interested I’ll pass along that wiring diagram, if you don’t have one included.

I wonder if it needs a Tach Adapter like the MSD does? - Mike would likely know…

cool salvaging

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

I have a NOS one up in my attic parts stash...(also from Ebay) it was made by the same parent company that made the Delta Mk 10 CD boxes, just uses a different housing but AFAIK uses the same circuitry as the Delta units--with an on/off switch so if the CD box fails, you can revert to conventional ignition by pressing the switch.  

Never tried one  with a Pertronix, but having installed a Delta Mk 10 on my '69 when it had 1300 miles on the odometer, I'm now on my second set of points after 226k additional miles... with a CD system, the points serve only as a relay, transmitting 12 volts instead of 30-40,000.  

I always mounted my Delta boxes on the right side inner fender well, just in front of the windshield washer bottle (on 68-74 cars).  Manifold heat never seemed to affect it, as it's in the airflow from the radiator.  Admittedly the Delta box is somewhat smaller, but the Tiger unit would still fit.

mike

• Like 3

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

2 hours ago, Mike Self said:

I always mounted my Delta boxes on the right side inner fender well

Same location here for my MSD, though closer to the strut. Good airflow and far enough from the exhaust - and close to the dizzy.

Custom length spacers help to getting a rectangular base mounted square at all four corners - the inner fender is actually a bit curvy...

• Like 1

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

3 hours ago, Mike Self said:

Admittedly the Delta box is somewhat smaller, but the Tiger unit would still fit.

mike

I had wondered about that.  Good to know that the older Delta boxes are smaller.  I really don't feel like drilling any holes in my car, but good to know how most folks mount them. 

Did you run yours with a ballast resistor and the matching coil or bypass it?

Thank you,

John

Edited by JohnS

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

My '69 still has its original black coil and external resistor, so I run the Delta so equipped.  My '73 has a blue coil, but IIRC I took the ballast resistor out of the circuit, just left it there for appearance.  Both Delta units seem to work properly in both cases.

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite