• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do you release the front dampers?

RoulerCo
Go to solution Solved by tech71,

After wrestling the rusted top screw nut off the outer housing of the front dampers I encountered the second problem…. How the hell do you get these metal rings out that keep the damper wedged into the housing? I tried cutting them with a Dremel but backed-out incase there is a better or easier thing to do to get them out.

Any tips are massively appreciated 😆

Thanks

Dan

IMG_6174.jpeg

I think that "ring" is part of the damper.  I'd wager the whole thing is corroded in place.  I removed my originals many years ago, but I dont remember a ring.  

Edited by johnny02

1 minute ago, johnny02 said:

I think that "ring" is part of the damper.  I'd wager the whole thing is corroded in place.  

It’s not part of the damper strut, it’s definitely a separate piece. I’ve managed to get the left side one out when I pulled the damper up. It came out without any issue. 

Just now, RoulerCo said:

It’s not part of the damper strut, it’s definitely a separate piece. I’ve managed to get the left side one out when I pulled the damper up. It came out without any issue. 

Ok, then, I stand corrected.  

• Solution

Yeah, some dampers require that spacer, not sure which ones but they are included with new KYB dampers although you dont need them on a standard 02

Is your car a Tii?

Its rusted in, buy a can of PB Blaster and apply liberally then wait a while, the longer the better.

If you have to, try cutting a slot in the face you can get a punch on  and try to rotate it a bit by tapping. May break it loose, be careful! you're damaging the housing there.

Hope your damper is not rusted in as well, pretty common and your strut housing looks pretty rusty

IMG_4258.JPG

Edited by tech71
  • Like 1

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

13 minutes ago, Son of Marty said:

Penatrating oil the rent a slide hammer from your parts store.

eastwood slide hammer

I didn't know parts stores rent slide hammers. Good tip. I will call ahead though. When I went into my neighborhood O'reilly's to buy one when I was replacing my bumpers a couple weeks ago, the guy at the counter didn't know what a slide hammer was. Showed him a pic and he said to get it from Amazon.  🫠 

@RoulerCo, report back on how you get that out. I had the same issue. The whole ordeal of working on my passenger side suspension was taking multiple days so I gave up and bought some nice freshly powdercoated strut housings from a local forum member. 

Edited by popovm