• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tii starting issue - only starts with fuel pump fuse out.

Twoey

last week I replaced the steering link and drove twoey around town, everything was fine,  no issues.   

Today, I went to start him up and lots of cranking but it wouldn't run.   Smelled gas and figured it was flooded! After reading multiple posts and some old blogs on here I tried some tricks.  

TO MY SURPRISE! The car WILL START if I pull the fuel pump fuse (fuse 12).  It will run for a little, then die.....as it should, it's not getting gas.  I had some fuel in the air filter and around the tuna can valve in the air box, so my CSV is spraying.   I pulled the plugs and they are fowled (which is expected I live in Denver and have it so it runs a bit rich) but I know I am getting a spark as it ran multiple times after I pulled the fuse.  

My sequence of operations has been crank, no turnover, flood.   pull fuse, crank, run.  Rinse and repeat a few times.    

Lastly, It ALMOST ran once with the fuse in, ran for about 3 seconds, then there was a huge sucking sound and it stopped. 

any suggestions, or places to start? I'm very confused about this one.   PS, I am working on this thing alone so there has not really been any attempt at anything that requires two sets of hands or eyes. 

Thank you FAQ, I have been able to do more on this car because of you all than I ever could have alone!   

SHINY PAINT CAUSES STRESS! 

.... At least that's what I tell myself to avoid painting a car. 

I saw a picture of a tii once on Bring a Turkey, so take this for what it's worth:

you haven't done anything that would affect the relationship of air to fuel, have you?

(usually involving the 'tuna can' and its linkage)

Because it sounds like it's overfuelling, as you say.  Oh, the other thing to try-

unhook the power to the cold start valve, and see if maybe that helps.

If that sticks on, it'll flood...

" crank, no turnover,"

cranking and turning over are the same thing

(a turnover, of course is yummy, especially if it's apple)

The usual phrasing is 'it'll crank, but not catch' or 'It turns over, but doesn't fire'

or 'It's cranking fine, but just won't light off'  or something along those lines.

t

stumbles

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Toby, thank you. 

You are correct, my phrasing was bad! 

I have done nothing to change the air/fuel mixture.  I haven't touched the tuna can in over a year and had 0 issues until today. 

I will try removing power to the csv! 

Thank you! 

15 hours ago, TobyB said:

Because it sounds like it's overfuelling, as you say.  Oh, the other thing to try-

unhook the power to the cold start valve, and see if maybe that helps.

If that sticks on, it'll flood...

Next time you try starting it (fuel pump fuse in place), soon as you've cranked if for a few seconds, pull a spark plug and see if it's wet with fuel.  If so, Toby most likely has your answer.  That cold start valve is essentially another injector; if it doesn't shut itself off, you have increased fuel flow about 25% with no corresponding airflow increase.  Thus, flooding.

Let us know whatcha find...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Alllllright! 

I took off the air filter and found fuel all over the place. So I put some locking pliers on the CVS gas line and BAM! Car fired right up. Sounds like one cylinder isn't firing (which is probably 4 since it was the spark plug I found that was soaked). 

While it was running I unpinched the pliers and the csv started gushing! Turned off the car but not the power and it continued to run for 5 seconds till I pinched it again. 

Looks like I need to wire in a button, chain the oil and spark plugs.

Thanks for all the help! 

• Like 1

Unplug the cold start injector, if the fuel stops it's a electrical problem if it still squirts you have a high fuel pressure problem.

• Like 2

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

1 hour ago, Son of Marty said:

Unplug the cold start injector, if the fuel stops it's a electrical problem if it still squirts you have a high fuel pressure problem.

I will 100% give this a try! 

I will do this first thing in the morning.

Pulled the electrics to it and no squirt on start up.    

So does not appear to be over pressure, just the electrics.