• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

does this temp gauge reading look on, or hot?

rjd2

I've been using a 71-degree C thermostat for years and the needle rarely gets to 3 o'clock much less above.  It has a stock, untouched during my 7 years radiator and a standard 4-blade belt-driven fan.  Even on a 95-degree afternoon stop-and-go inland LA freeway for more than an hour, it did not get above 3 o'clock.  Maybe the engine is not as efficient at that cooler temperature, but I like the piece of mind.

13 minutes ago, Dick R said:

I've been using a 71-degree C thermostat for years and the needle rarely gets to 3 o'clock much less above.  It has a stock, untouched during my 7 years radiator and a standard 4-blade belt-driven fan.  Even on a 95-degree afternoon stop-and-go inland LA freeway for more than an hour, it did not get above 3 o'clock.  Maybe the engine is not as efficient at that cooler temperature, but I like the piece of mind.

What year is your ‘02, Dick? A four-blade fan sounds early. I mention this because both my ‘67 1600-2 and my 1970 2002 ran considerably cooler than my 1976.

Thanks and regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

1 hour ago, tech71 said:

I have a 3 core HD radiator as well, what's odd is my gauge indicates engines running hotter (2:30) in winter.

Summer 90 degrees plus, it indicates 3:00

My A/C used to automatically engage the auxiliary fan when turned on. I’m guessing that’s not your fact pattern, but I might as well check!

Thanks and best regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

On 6/17/2023 at 8:59 PM, Mike Self said:

My 73 has been running exactly where yours is for many years.   It has a 3 row core radiator, 80 degree thermostat, and an A/C condenser ahead of the radiator.  And my gauge was properly grounded many years ago.   I believe it would run more at 3 o'clock if I had a 76 degree 'stat.  

Same on my 73tii except no AC.  I added the 80 degree thermostat after doing the 3 core radiator because it was running too cool with a 76 degree 'stat.  The tii warm up regulator needs a certain amount of heat, but I digress...

Edited by JohnS

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️