• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

‘72 Steering Wheel

D.Troast

Looking to upgrade my steering wheel but want to keep it close to original. Question: Does the tii steering wheel rim disconnect from the spokes ?

Does anyone know o f a good source for original steering wheels ?

I want to keep the spokes but converts the steering wheel circle to wood.

Would love some advice

Look for a Nardi wheel, new or used.  You'll also need the hub to attach it to the steering column.

If you're on Facebook there are vintage BMW & European steering wheel pages:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1474012049526223

https://www.facebook.com/groups/119995768661704

Edited by John_in_VA

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

Here (below) is a wood-rimmed sport wheel. The wood-rimmed sport wheel was purportedly standard equipment on 1600ti’s (produced last quarter of 1967 through last quarter of 1968). But 2002ti’s (last quarter of 1968 to April 1971) and, subsequently, Euro-spec 2002tii’s (April 1971 through August 1973) — but not U.S.-spec tii’s — were equipped with the faux-leather-rimmed sport wheel. I believe the wood-rimmed sport wheel was also an option on E9, and possibly E3 cars at the same time. And someone here is bound to produce evidence of an NK wood-rimmed factory wheel. Others here will also know if there were multiple diameters to the wood-rimmed version of the sport wheel, e.g., 400 mm. and 421 mm.

Wood-rimmed steering wheels died an early death in the hands of vehicle manufacturers because they displayed…uh… dangerous characteristics in the event of a collision — “splinter in your heart, anyone?” Thus, (a.) expensive to manufacture” (b.) not wanted by the safety authorities, and (c.) not wanted by the legal department represented a powerful one-two-three punch to factory wood-rimmed steering wheels.

But they are gorgeous, and with a matching wood shift knob… 😋

Regards,

Steve

IMG_0823.png

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

14 hours ago, JohnP_02 said:

If you want an original pretty rare wood 1600 ti steering wheel, you won't find a better one than the one listed on the forum classifieds by @BimmerBouk

And many thanks to other John 🙏. It is still available for the person who loves an original BMW option in his/her classic.

Cheers from the Netherlands

18 hours ago, Conserv said:

I believe the wood-rimmed sport wheel was also an option on E9, and possibly E3 cars at the same time.

I have a couple of wood-rim "bus" wheels--look identical to the black plastic wheels fitted to 2002s except the rims are (real) wood.  Spokes are plastic, with horn pushes just like the all plastic wheels.  One of mine I scrounged off a 2800CS; the other came off a 2800 sedan.  I don't recall seeing a metal-spoke, center horn push wood rim steering wheel on either the sedan or coupe--at least not US models (both of the donor cars were US spec's).

mike

• Thanks 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

6 hours ago, Mike Self said:

I have a couple of wood-rim "bus" wheels--look identical to the black plastic wheels fitted to 2002s except the rims are (real) wood.  Spokes are plastic, with horn pushes just like the all plastic wheels.  One of mine I scrounged off a 2800CS; the other came off a 2800 sedan. 

Mike, that sounds like the OEM e9 wood steering wheel. They are actually difficult to find in good shape nowadays. The veneer was very thin and cracked easily and just like our leather sport wheels those chrome end thingies broke, fell off or became scraggly. It’s a nice wheel though for sure.

IMG_4236.thumb.jpeg.46fdc10aaa84d77e4e443bbc321073d1.jpeg

1969 2002 Granada, 2nd owner

1976 2002 Fjordblau (sold)

A few too many steering wheels

2 hours ago, JohnP_02 said:

The veneer was very thin and cracked easily

All that was cracked on my two was the varnish/urethane finish.  It was the very devil to remove--paint remover didn't faze it; sandpaper barely scuffed it, and since it was lifting all the way to the wood, I had to take all the original finish off.  I ended up scraping it off with pieces of broken glass!

Revarnished with urethane boat varnish, it's several shades lighter and very attractive.  And someone was reproducing those little metal spoke ends--the cast style, cause I got one for one of my wheels.

I'm saving it for my '69 when the small aftermarket wheel is too difficult to turn with my aging muscles 😁.

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite