• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OT, but please read.

Yesterday my son in laws closest cousin, his best freind growing up,  was doing a quick oilchange on his car, he has been around cars his whole life and knew better, jacked it up and removed a front wheel to get to the oil filter using no jack stands and putting nothing under the car, I'm sure he thought it'll be fine. Anyway it's thought that he was reaching for a dropped socket under the car when it fell killing him. Please my brothers and sisters remember saftey is always first and formost, don't leave your freinds and family thinking what a stupid was to die, please.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 15

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

That is terrible. I’m so sorry for you and your son in law. We’ve all done it and this is a good reminder not to. Thank you for the reminder. 

• Like 1

2003 e39 M5 (daily)

1986 e30 325es (sons car)

1972 2002tii (fun daily alternative)

Unfortunately,  that is how I met my college roommate who became my best friend.  He had to return to New York State from college because his father had passed away.  I never found out how until about a year later when I was working on my 1600 in his driveway, I had done the stupid and crawled under the car with it on a hydraulic jack.  He went off on me, yelled at me and told me NEVER DO THAT AGAIN!  It was then that he told me how his dad passed away, working on one of his cars, the jack failed and killed him.  To this day, I have never been under a car that is not properly secured.  So sorry for you loss.  My condolences to you and your family.  Please be safe everyone. 

• Like 2

1970 Granada 1600 "The 16",  2000 528i Siena Red "The 5",  1968 Mustang 289 Muscle Car Blue, 

1999 318ti M Package Green,  1982 633CSi 5 speed Blue,  2011 550i M Package Black (6 speed manual)

Awful. It happens far too often. I just spent many hours under my 02 over the last two months competing a 5 speed installation. I used SIX jack stands to secure the car. 

• Like 2

John M (Formally JMinNJ)
73 2002 Malaga, 74 3.0cs Polaris 

67 NK 2000, 04 e46 330ci

Very sad story I am so sorry for you and your son in laws loss. It really is a reminder for me to take my time and do it right. I alway seem to be in a hurry these day. All the best to you and your family.

About ten years ago when I lived next to the college in F'burg (VA), I heard some desperate screams coming from across the street.  The young man (Marine enlisted guy) who lived there was trapped under his 80s era Mustang GT.  He had used only the jack to support it on an uneven crushed rock driveway and crawled under it to work on it.   God looks over fools and Englishmen (and US Marines).  The car came down on him, but did not crush him, but instead pinned him in a hollow area between the engine and the frame.   He pleaded for his girl friend to get the jack free and jack it back up to get him out.  I told her instead to call the fire department knowing they have the inflatable bags to lift the car safely.   The fire department came within in minutes and freed him.   I told him he could borrow my jack stands and never do that again.    

• Like 1

So sorry for your loss.

I wonder if your message would be viewed more with a more descriptive subject line?

BR,

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

When I was young and working at a gas station I had an old timer teach me to keep the jack pumped up just to the point where it almost touched the underside of the car and close to my head, just in case. 

Reposting this from Dudeland on the other thread:

jackstands are ALMOST infallible, but a backup's ALWAYS a good idea.

I have one less friend from Central school 'cause he dropped a car onto himself.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL