• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WTT: Shallow grills for all silver 1600 grills

MOJOJOY

• Alpina

Looking to trade a really nice set of (72-73) shallow grills for an equal quality set of all silver 1600 grills. 

And also looking for an embossed nose trim for a 67’ 1600

IMG_3334.jpeg

IMG_3335.jpeg

IMG_3338.jpeg

IMG_3337.jpeg

IMG_3336.jpeg

IMG_3339.jpeg

IMG_3340.jpeg

IMG_3341.jpeg

• Like 1

------------------------------------------------------

http://www.instagram.com/mojojoy

1968 BMW 2002 (Bristol/Granada)

1969 BMW 2000 NK (Florida)

1971 BMW 2000tii Touring Malaga (Restoring)

I might be wrong but I think they are identical parts sans the c channel black covers on the bars which you can remove with a little persuasion. Punched on the same press too. The only discrepancy I have heard of is the 2 kinds of kidney, one with 8 and one with more than 8 slats/then the tall and short side pieces. Admittedly I am new to this and might be completely wrong too.

13 hours ago, resra said:

Mojojoy is correct for what he is wanting. Not just the slat covers but the buckets were deeper on early grilles Left plus right side and yes very early 2002s and 1600 had a 10 slat center grille. 

+1

Resra’s correct although I prefer to avoid the use of “bucket” when referring to headlight grilles: he’s, in my mind, really referring to the headlight trim rings (also called headlight doors back in the day) that are components of the side grilles.

Time to trot out my deep v. shallow grille photo. No? Yes! 👍 Attached below: deep grille on top; shallow grille below.

I avoid using “bucket” simply because there are already lots of people who believe the U.S.-spec headlight buckets changed over time, or with the switch from deep to shallow grilles. They did not. By swapping out a plated retaining and asymmetric filler rings for solely a black powdercoated retaining ring, a 1967 U.S. headlight bucket becomes a 1976 U.S. headlight bucket!

Trivia: From the introduction of the 2002 (November 29, 1967 saw the very first 2002 but it was well into 1968 before the earliest 2002’s were delivered in the U.S.) until approximately the end of 1969 (my September 1969-built 1970 2002 reflected the following trait), 2002 grille slats were painted, not clad in covers. It was a bad answer, as much of that paint had chipped off within a year or two… 🙄

Best regards,

Steve

IMG_3447.jpeg

• Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)