• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me your battery (not ignition) cut off switch location.

Dudeland
Go to solution Solved by Rosso Pintura,

That feels like a bad idea, but I’m sure there’s a way to make it work. Is there a sealed cutoff that could handle exposure to the elements?  The ones I’ve seen are not. 

For a real track car, someplace obvious from the drivers door is good. Dash or center console or on the cage by the door. Mine is on the rear seat bulkhead, which is a fine compromise for a car that will see track time, but only occasionally and never competitively. 

FF3B37DC-EEDE-4D50-A818-D26739040C64.jpeg.a0084f78a7e0bc9d9a26c15fb4097258.jpeg

605D2A90-1209-43DF-94B2-280C92F02969.jpeg.db14b4b25a70378ba41588e91aa48ec4.jpeg

Optima in the trunk and yes, I did shield those poles once I got the routing finalized.😉 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Lucky 7 said:

That feels like a bad idea, but I’m sure there’s a way to make it work. Is there a sealed cutoff that could handle exposure to the elements?  The ones I’ve seen are not. 

For a real track car, someplace obvious from the drivers door is good. Dash or center console or on the cage by the door. Mine is on the rear seat bulkhead, which is a fine compromise for a car that will see track time, but only occasionally and never competitively. 

FF3B37DC-EEDE-4D50-A818-D26739040C64.jpeg.a0084f78a7e0bc9d9a26c15fb4097258.jpeg

605D2A90-1209-43DF-94B2-280C92F02969.jpeg.db14b4b25a70378ba41588e91aa48ec4.jpeg

Optima in the trunk and yes, I did shield those poles once I got the routing finalized.😉 

I am thinking something that I could put a rubber plug over until needed.  

I am feeling like I am going down a rat hole as well.  But I have nothing better to do while I watch folks at the driving range. 

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

You can buy a cutoff that has a rubber "gaiter" around the key hole that seals the red key, for more hostile environments. We have one on one of the cars that is on the outside of the car. I don't remember where it came from or the brand, it just tells me that they exist. Many switches come with a rubber cover for when you take the key with you, but that doesn't help when the key is on.

14 hours ago, Dudeland said:

Anybody have a good mounting point for an external cutoff? 

Ususally you have one cutout switch and just put a pulling wire (bowdenzug in german) from the exteriror or interior to that switch.

Edited by uai

On 8/31/2023 at 4:35 PM, slowbert said:

To kill the engine, you will need to kill the ignition, not the battery.  In my set up, the car will continue running when the battery is switched out (if the alternator is generating current).

+1 you need an fia switch with 2 or 3 pairs of connectors or you'll have to add a diode in the green cable that goes from the ignition switch to the instrument cluster

Edited by uai

I think that this is what I need.  The 3.3K ohm 11W resistor is to drain the flyback when the engine is tuned off. 

One of the spade sets (2) is broken when turned off, which you use for your ignition circuit.   The second set of spade connectors connect when the circuit is turned off.  If you look carefully at the picture you will see a 3.3K ohm resistor which you connect to the spade connector and ground.  The idea is when you shut off the switch, it will connect the battery side to the ground through the resistor and absorb any of the flyback.

I am still on the fence, as I can run the alternator output cable to the battery side, so when I shut off the circuit, the flyback voltage will be absorbed by the battery. 

I will have to lay out a schematic to see how the batt light and the exciter wire (if I have one) are affected by this configuration as they may provide a path for voltage when the battery connection is turned off. I feel there is a diode needed on the batt light and exciter wire.  My alternator has an internal voltage regulator. 

P.S 

The regulations for the local hill climb are just a helmet.

51eZconAVBL._AC_SX522_.jpg.8d49eb9365d02c308fd66cb5607cfa0a.jpg 

• Like 1

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

s-l500.jpg
WWW.EBAY.CO.UK

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Mega Fuse Holder Car Auto Van Truck Heavy...

'59 Morris Minor, '67 Triumph TR4A, '68 Silver Shadow, '72 2002tii, '73 Jaguar E-Type,

'73 2002tii w/Alpina mods , '74 2002turbo, '85 Alfa Spider, '03 Lotus Elise

Near the trunk mounted battery in much later BMW's (IIRC E39 and I assume newer also) is a fuse panel which included several gigantic fuses just like that littlefuse "mega". 

I found both 200A and 250A versions at the local junk yard a few years ago, and fabricated my own mounting scheme from some surplus G10 epoxy material, mounting it near the battery (under the hood in my case, but not an important point). 

They just attach with lugs- use stainless hardware with toothed lock washers between the fuse and heavy power cables for long lasting good contact.  So far so good in my case.  You can also find the fuses online to avoid the junk yard.