• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BMW Wheels 1124 111 5.5J x 13H2 ET18

Pdxguy

Anyone give me information about these wheels? I figured out the size/offset, guessing they were made 11/1979. Assuming these were made for E21 cars? These were on a car I sold, trying to get any background info before putting them up for sale.

Thanks for any info,

Dennis

wheel1.thumb.jpg.eba94181e15cf1d1be00025dd1cfe5aa.jpg

wheel3.thumb.jpg.5e1c455a9cb9a9d85c61991c24e8287d.jpg

wheel2.thumb.jpg.682492a4e61fb45ce5e26996e4cec540.jpg

57 minutes ago, Gordon said:

Back in the 80's,  these wheels were a common upgrade for 02's.  Only drawback,  decent 13" tires have gone the way of the dinosaur in the US market.  

Were  Mahle wheels made by bmw?  My wheels have the bmw insignia on them.

8 hours ago, Pdxguy said:

Only drawback,  decent 13" tires have gone the way of the dinosaur in the US market.  

And besides the difficulty of finding good 13" tires, the offset on E21 wheels isn't ideal for 2002s...they'll work OK, but might rub with anything wider than a 185/70 tire...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

12 hours ago, Pdxguy said:

Were  Mahle wheels made by bmw?  My wheels have the bmw insignia on them.

Other way 'round- Mahle would have made wheels for BMW.

As far as I can tell, BMW never got into the alloy wheel casting business, at least well into the 2000's,

as all of the 'BMW' wheels have a maker's casting from a 3rd party.

E.g. Dennis' wheels were made by 'Alu'...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

I used to own a couple of E21s "sport package".  A '79 and an '80.  Those alloy wheels (made by Rial? for BMW) were standard issue with the sport package that included an air dam, Rear spoiler, no rear 320i badges, Limited slip 3.64 with 4-speed on the '79, Limited slip 3.91 with 5-speed on the '80.  And the Recaro seats.  They were cool cars, but nothing like an '02

Oh, and the "sport" steering wheel...

Edited by JohnS
  • Like 1

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

18 hours ago, TobyB said:

Other way 'round- Mahle would have made wheels for BMW.

As far as I can tell, BMW never got into the alloy wheel casting business, at least well into the 2000's,

as all of the 'BMW' wheels have a maker's casting from a 3rd party.

E.g. Dennis' wheels were made by 'Alu'...

t

+1

Alumetall Nürnberg (“Alu”) was, like FPS, Mahle, Lemmerz, etc., another of the rim manufacturers fulfilling BMW’s rim needs! A cast-in BMW Roundel (or stamped-in, in the case of steel rims) signifies that it was an OEM part.

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)