• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New guy introduction and where to find body panels

Trey

Hi all. I’m new to the forum and to BMWs. I’ve always admired the 2002. I recently came across one for sale so I’m going to give it a shot. It’s a 71. These are the sellers pictures from a few years ago. It looks the same now. Even though it is disassembled, all of the parts are there. It’s a factory A/C car, 5 speed and moonroof. They body is a little rough in areas but I enjoy that part. 

on that subject, is there a place to buy body panels?  I’ve seen rear panels and rear 1/4s, but that’s about it. This area under the rear window needs work. I can make the patch for it, but it would be quicker if I can find someone cutting up a donor. 

IMG_0041.jpeg

IMG_0042.jpeg

IMG_0053.jpeg

IMG_4172.jpeg

Welcome to the Affliction! Nice roundie, you have your work/fun ahead of you. 

A ton of info in this forum, way too much to absorb. The search function is invaluable.

W&N, and many other sources. It pays to hunt carefully.

Hacker of many things... master of none.

Gunther March 19, 1974. Hoffman Motors march 22 1974 NYC

Welcome to the 2002! You will have lots of fun I am sure. Post photos of progress!

Looks like a great platform to start from. Are you thinking OE restoration or ?

Jason

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   + --> Need an Alpina A4 tuning guide? PM me!

Thanks everyone. It looks like MVP might have some of what I need. I’ll dig I to it more in a couple weeks. 

1 hour ago, JsnPpp said:

Welcome to the 2002! You will have lots of fun I am sure. Post photos of progress!

Looks like a great platform to start from. Are you thinking OE restoration or ?

Jason

I’m not sure what direction it will head. It’s unlikely I’ll do a factory restoration on it, but it won’t be far from stock either. 

• Like 1

Welcome to the '02 fraternity/sorority.  As has been pointed out, lotsa help here on the FAQ, including some really obscure facts and tidbits.  So don't be shy about asking questions--and use the site archives for even more information.  

Looks like a pretty sound body--lucky you...mechanicals are a lot easier (and cheaper) to repair than rusty/bent bodies.  

Looks like Granada red...post the VIN and we'll be able to tell you month and date of its assembly--and don't forget to add it to the register elsewhere on the FAQ.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I’ll definitely put up the vin and more pictures when I get it. It’ll be another week or so before the seller and I have time to do this. 

I’ve been reading a lot more about them and I’m curious to see what the car is and isn’t. The seller has a few 2002s so I trust what he says, but I find conflicting information. From what I’ve read, there was no factory AC, all were dealer installed. There also wasn’t a lux in the US. He said it is a lux, maybe it’s an import, or it’s not a lux. What 5 speed do I have?  I have no idea on these questions and more, but it’s making me do research and I like that. 

Email BMW Group Archives and request your car’s data. To do that, just send your car’s VIN (and your engine number if it is different from the VIN) with your request to:

hdz.info@bmwgroup.com

Besides the car’s manufacturing date, and the date that title was delivered to Hoffman Motors, you’ll get confirmation of the car’s factory exterior color.

Whether your car’s engine is original to your car or not, get to know what you have under the hood:

And correct, the LUX package was only available on Euro-spec cars. Plus… it was only offered from early 1974 through the end of 1602-2002 production in mid-1975 (the 1502 continued in production until 1977, but was never offered with the LUX package).

(NO “factory-installed” A/C in ‘02’s.)

Congrats and welcome!

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

35 minutes ago, Trey said:

It’s possible I misunderstood the year. 

The "interesting" observation is that 74 and up Euro nose panel shouldn't be paired with the round tail light panel.  Most likely your 71 had a front-end mishap and they grafted on a later nose panel instead of fixing the original one.

14 hours ago, Trey said:

What 5 speed do I have?

If your car has a 5 speed, it could be a rare Getrag 235/5 (the slave cylinder is identical to the 4 speed), at Getrag 245 from a 320i (3 piece case and 2 models, Over Drive and Close Ratio, identified by the position of the backup light switch) or a Getrag 240 from late model (83) 320i (2 piece case with a speedo cable), if the Getrag 240 was out of an early E30, it won't have a mechanical speedo drive.  Need pictures to verify.

Mark92131

IMG_1143.JPG

245-10SPTrans.jpg

245OD.jpg

Getrag 240.jpeg

• Thanks 1

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

21 hours ago, Trey said:

The seller has a few 2002s so I trust what he says

How well do you know this seller? Just wondering if you should trust him as far as, further, or shorter than you can throw him. 😄  So far (Newer nose on a '71 and claiming it's a Lux) he's not doing so hot! Trust but verify. That 5 speed may or may not be good, engine may or may not be seized, numbers matching, from a 1600, etc etc.. None of that is insurmountable, but it would affect the price.