• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Coolant port at back upper block to intake... purpose?

OldRoller
Go to solution Solved by tech71,

74 matching numbers engine. There is a small coolant port upper left side of the block, small line going to back side intake. My assumption (probably wrong) is this line allows coolant a return path to eliminate air pockets/hot spots when the heater valve is closed. I have seen some pictures that route the intake line to the water choke. 

I will be running coolant through the manifold on the 74. The 76 has both ports blocked sometime in its history. Looking for some clarification of the purpose to prevent any cooling issues.

Sometimes efforts to "clean" up the engine bay can circumvent engineers design and create problems. I bow to the vast knowledge of this group. 

In the meantime my coffee grows cold. 😎

Edited by OldRoller

Hacker of many things... master of none.

Gunther March 19, 1974. Hoffman Motors march 22 1974 NYC

6 hours ago, OldRoller said:

The 76 has both ports blocked

As noted, the small fittings on the intake manifold and the block are for plumbing a water choke.

If you don't have a water choke, connect both fittings with a short hose to help purge air and keep a bit more coolant circulating.

Manual choke cars had a plug in that place on the block.  So circulation isn't really needed.  Another hose, another  potential leak.  Plugs are another option.

• Thanks 1

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.