• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

more confusion.... mechanical fuel pumps ???

ptegler

ordered a new mech fuel pump from Ireland Eng.  nope...doesn't fit.  It's too short and does not clear the water elbow and hose going to the center of the intake manifold
this is the pic I sent Ireland.
wrong-pump-ireland-eng.thumb.jpg.88a2f66df1c96de860a17ae7e5f8377d.jpg

So or course my first move was to come here and search the FAQ....yep found the article

so now what?    WHERE can I buy the proper fuel pump?  I have elec pumps here, but wanted to at least go all stock first, getting this puppy up and running.    I need the longer shaft between base and pump body to clear the hose and elbow!   HELP!!!
Is oem style even still avail?

tia
ptegler

That has been an issue before. I couldn't find a real solution to use that pump though. If it's using the shorter version of the pushrod maybe it could be replaced with the taller one and get a thicker phenolic spacer or maybe two of them? Would require some search and/or manufacturing 😬.

Wallothnesch shows some variations, but not many available.

Edited by Tommy

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

BluntTech sells a long-neck version that will clear the coolant hose.  They're more expensive, but I'd definitely go with one of those, since the hot hose will transfer heat to the pump/fuel.

WWW.BLUNTTECH.COM

Long neck to clear the water hose

Notice the description in the pump window above.  Here's what @BLUNT added to the short-pump description, to help people get the correct pump.

"This will not clear the water hose. See 13-31-1-257-784 for correct long neck pump."

(The short pump fits fine for side draft applications, since the water divider used with dual carbs does not have the coolant outlet).

Tom

• Like 5

Given the circumstances, an electric fuel pump seems to be a realistic option.

Many possibilities there including

WWW.REVOLUTIONELECTRONICS.COM

Shuts off the fuel pump if the engine stalls. Primes the pump at startup.

Edited by tech71

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

FWIW...a plug for "shorty".

I replaced the original long-neck pump with a short-neck, and it has been trouble-free for 6+ years.

However, I did not use the BMW OEM formed hose from the water divider to the intake manifold. It is too thick and hard.

Instead, I used a piece of heater hose which is thinner and softer. I checked the underside of the "shorty" and filed any sharp castings. The hose does not contact the pump at all. No issue with heat transfer to the fuel in the diaphragm. 

BMWStuff026.thumb.JPG.6376fe741d12d7a9ff90b1a3c1547822.JPG

thanks for inclusion of the the photo in particular here. that water elbow is different than mine.
It looks like you have an extra casting for a port in front of the temp sensor. mine only has the temp sensor bung.  On mine, the outlet port (for the manifold) its3eld contacts the pump body before I can seat the pump on the head.

ptegler

Sounds like we need to set up a casting run with the water neck nipple rotated down 20 degrees.

Or relocated to come out 20mm lower.

Anyone want to suggest it to URO?  This is the sort of thing they can actually do well, if you

give them an exact mockup of what's needed.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

If my skills weren't so rusty, I'd tig weld a new neck myself.
I was able to find this pump. The cool part.... the rebuild parts are exactly the same as a ton of other British car pumps. rebuild can be performed without even removing the pump from the engine. Pluse the output can be 'clocked' as needed for simple exit routing.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/354492166036

Edited by ptegler