• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trunk emblem refresh

Lucky 7
Go to solution Solved by Mark92131,

15 hours ago, Lucky 7 said:

I spent awhile sanding and polishing the emblem today. It was really pitted, but I got most of it leveled off with dry sand 220. Then I wet sanded 400, 600, 800, and 1500. Then it was the denim wheel on my bench grinder. Then hand polishing with Mother’s aluminum polish. 

Its definitely not perfect, but it’s a big improvement.  It was in a pretty sorry state before. 

First two numbers polished, back end in final sand:

C1795BEE-C7A6-4624-8A48-49C74FC48E1A.thumb.jpeg.af8201819f7b7f62e02d405f7f38e1e5.jpeg

And all finished up. Maybe tomorrow I’ll get it mounted. 

6F11189E-B1C5-426A-8A0E-6353716C092E.thumb.jpeg.ca638ccae9c8b03b19e3d82938a54406.jpeg

Thanks again for the advice, all!

Almost has a brushed look after sanding, that looks really good too!

'72 Metallic Malaga 2002 with a '73 M10 | Dual Weber DCOE 40s | E21 5spd and LSD | Pertronix II

1 hour ago, 72MetallicMalaga said:

Almost has a brushed look after sanding, that looks really good too!

I always have that thought too. Mostly because I’m lazy and I hate polishing. 😂

I assume the brushed finish would require a clear coat to keep corrosion from eating it alive. I’ll probably still clearcoat my badge, but the other parts that I’ve done this to (drip rail, window frames, etc) haven’t gotten clear. I’ll just rub them with polish or beeswax after a wash. 

2 hours ago, Lucky 7 said:

I always have that thought too. Mostly because I’m lazy and I hate polishing. 😂

I assume the brushed finish would require a clear coat to keep corrosion from eating it alive. I’ll probably still clearcoat my badge, but the other parts that I’ve done this to (drip rail, window frames, etc) haven’t gotten clear. I’ll just rub them with polish or beeswax after a wash. 

polishing = patience + time + more patience

I just use Simichrome on my polished wheels, valve cover and assorted trim to maintain their finish. Nice protectant features - it wipes down with water in-between re-applications.

Tom

forgot to add: if you’re polished or brushed aluminum, but are lazy re: care, try Sharkhide finish…

Edited by visionaut

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

Got it clearcoated and installed. Looks nice, definitely better than before. I also installed my hand painted roundel. That was its own fun little side project. I’m not a fan of the plastic ones, so I found that old aluminum one on eBay and refurbed it.  The old boy can flash his colors again. 

A451B1CD-5D4B-4C77-84D2-D8FCE04FC05A.thumb.jpeg.075b22bd3157003fefebe5e8b90e80bb.jpeg

Thanks for all the tips and tricks, guys!

• Like 4