• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

38/38 Surprise

Dick R

19 minutes ago, MurphinDC said:

@OldRoller I'm curious which pistons you ended up going with. I'm in the same position with an engine and there are limited choices out there.  Sorry for going somewhat off topic here.

Murph

They are Mahle 9.5 2nd oversize from W&N for the E12 head... a little pricey but exactly what I needed. Came with rings, pins and keepers. All within a half a gram of each other. W&N was the only source I found for cast pistons, did not want to fork out for forged. 

• Thanks 1

Hacker of many things... master of none.

Gunther March 19, 1974. Hoffman Motors march 22 1974 NYC

The often prescribed formula on this form, a 38/38 Weber stuck on top of a motor with a  290is cam, slightly higher compression ratio after market forged pistons and a free flow exhaust, including a header, is good for the entry level low budget race car or club racer. Otherwise, it lacks flexibility for the street as it yields low MPG (15 mpg range), suffers from loss of low end torque and burns oil due to loose fitting forged pistons. These mods are just hyped-up internet "keyword" lingo. There is a good reason the factory "TI" motors just had a slight bump in compression ratio with side draft carbs, but otherwise remained the same as the standard single carb motor. They wanted to maintain a degree of flexibility while gaining about 20hp. That's my opinion on the matter, having driven and built these cars since 1982, well before the Internet and cell phones. That's my blah blah blah, ba blah blah blah contribution here, to where I probably shouldn't even be contributing to the "enemy" camp.

Edited by Alexander

I'm on the same page Alexander. I am building the engine for drivability/longevity, won't be racing her. Had my way with that years ago with Healeys. The 9.5 cast pistons were all I could find in the 2nd OS I needed for bore repair. The rest of her is stock. 

Any carburetor can be jetted for any application you desire. Economy? Jet it lean, adjust the timing/advance and keep the foot out of it. Power? Same thing, but richer where needed to accommodate the foot. The advent of AFR gauges has given an avenue to easily tailor any engine to a particular driving style. 

To each his own. Many of us, in our younger days, had 02's and others that we drove the living hell out of. Some are new to the experience. Some will never get over the WFO thrill. Others enjoy a simple cruise with a rhythmic drone of exhaust finely tuned. This forum is a vault of experience for all of us, and I'm dead sure you will not find an enemy anywhere.

Hacker of many things... master of none.

Gunther March 19, 1974. Hoffman Motors march 22 1974 NYC

3 hours ago, rstclark said:

&Alexander

I will gladly pay shipping on those two carbs PM me for details

Cardiff by the Sea !

Back during the late 80s my brother lived in Cardiff with the Cardiff Reefers. And, I used to drive down there with my first 02, a 68 1600. I still drive down there from time to time. I'll have to save at least one of the carbs, if not both for you. I was down there at the outlets not long ago. And I took my dog down to the beach. Cardiff is a pleasant place.

3 hours ago, OldRoller said:

This forum is a vault of experience for all of us, and I'm dead sure you will not find an enemy anywhere.

I mostly agree with you. This place is a vault of experience and information. And. I've contributed to this vault since its inception. Unfortunately, I've removed most of my posts from my profiles, especially since the beginning of the war. This place has a little of everything, including some die-hard bigots and Russophophes. There are members on this forum with profile pics of Ukrainian flags and NATO iconography. What can an one expect ? We're in the US. But, it's still more tolerable than Great Britain, the world's  most Russophobic nation which still laments the loss of its 700 man light cavalry brigade to the Russians at the Battle of Balaclava in 1854. Yes, the last time Great Britain sent its armed forces to wrestle Crimea away from Russia, lay a one year long siege to Sevastopol and destroy Russia's Black Sea Fleet. They failed then, and they will fail now. It's no coincidence NATO's lapdogs in Ukraine launched a barrage of British donated Storm Shadow cruise missiles at Sevastopol on September 13th, in commemoration of Great Britain's attack on Sevastopol on September 13th, 1854. It was a part of a disastrous military gambit which started in 1853 when Great Britain  ignited the Crimean War. Iconography and symbolism is ubiquitous, everywhere, including this place. 

Anyways, I have my reasons for referring to "Enemies" here. Now, just because you install a 38/38 on your motor, I don't consider you as an "Enemy". Although, I think you're making a mistake. In my opinion, it's a piece of junk. If you want more carburation, install some Weber DCOE 40s and spend a lot of extra time and $$$ on jets etc. Those things can be dialed in and tuned for any motor. 

• Haha 1

i've been running one of the cheap 38/38 carbs on my 76 for 15 years, never a problem, plug-n-play and no mods to intake...have had one on the 72 for the past 8 years, same, no issues, no intake mods...both cars always start immediately and run way better than with the "genuine" weber 32/36's that i replaced

4 hours ago, rstclark said:

Wait a minute Alexander were you previously Slavs?
You’ve in Burbank Been on FAQ a long time yeah?

Yep !

From the once Lockheed, Cold Warrior, Blue Collar Burbank  where the highlight of the week is driving to Bob's Big Boy and showing off your sled over a burger, fries and shake. It's not that bad, I guess, but it gets old.

Edited by Alexander

4 hours ago, esty said:

i've been running one of the cheap 38/38 carbs on my 76 for 15 years, never a problem, plug-n-play and no mods to intake...have had one on the 72 for the past 8 years, same, no issues, no intake mods...both cars always start immediately and run way better than with the "genuine" weber 32/36's that i replaced

I don't know what to tell you other than we have very different perceptions of "better". I was so glad to remove the 38/38 from my car. And, I'll never go in that direction again.

3 hours ago, rstclark said:

The Cardiff Reefers both smoked ‘‘em and surfed the Cardiff Reef too

Those were the days

Yep, those were the days. I'll bring those things down one of these days over some fish tacos and a beer with you guys. Ha Ha Ha !

Edited by Alexander