• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

71 2002, how much rust is too much

PapaSmurfen

4 hours ago, resra said:

Yes those are MSW wheels. They do pop up for sale once a while. Although it is a very rusty looking car underneath, it is a late 71 car meaning some nice parts are on that lasted all the way upto 1973. 

Like the front and rear bumpers, the two piece dashboard, the seats if untorn. etc. 

This particular car also looks to have a wood Nardi steering wheel? 

Here is a sample of similar MSW wheel set for sale in this forum (Not mine and I hope the original Poster don't mind)

20230919_172609.thumb.jpg.23f298934d70008fba33158af23bca7d.jpglooks to be, forgot to post interior pictures, seats are all there, light tearing In a couple, 1 small crack on the dash and chewed up paper from mice

20230919_173344.jpg

34 minutes ago, PapaSmurfen said:

20230919_172609.thumb.jpg.23f298934d70008fba33158af23bca7d.jpglooks to be, forgot to post interior pictures, seats are all there, light tearing In a couple, 1 small crack on the dash and chewed up paper from mice

20230919_173344.jpg

If you part it out, I would like to buy the dashboard, the instrument cluster and the steering wheel from you.

Edited by resra
  • Like 1

Slowbert:  All of the rust on the car above is solvable - with patience, attention to detail, and lots of replacement sheet metal (and probably a good bit of fabrication).  The real question is whether you want to take up the challenge and put in the hours in it.

There.  I didn't need to type it.

+1

I have a limited numbers of years on this planet- I would find a more- unique car than a roundie to spend them on than that.

t

• Like 2

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

It's all down to desire. Unlike many here, I'd rather dive into a rust bucket than a repaired 02. Most, if. Ot all 02s have had some form of rust repair (just like when I argue with 356 guy, these things were rusting on the trip over). So, there's not likely to be many secrets. Also, your skill set will dictate time. I can casually do beetle pans in a day. Afternoon really. But, I have a game plan, tools and do proper prep. Those who see 10k in metal need to practice their metal work. It's more like 2.5 to 5k in metal and 5k in paint and materials. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Markwemple said:

It's all down to desire. Unlike many here, I'd rather dive into a rust bucket than a repaired 02. Most, if. Ot all 02s have had some form of rust repair (just like when I argue with 356 guy, these things were rusting on the trip over). So, there's not likely to be many secrets. Also, your skill set will dictate time. I can casually do beetle pans in a day. Afternoon really. But, I have a game plan, tools and do proper prep. Those who see 10k in metal need to practice their metal work. It's more like 2.5 to 5k in metal and 5k in paint and materials. 

C’mon man, you’re joking right? This is way beyond just floor pans on a bug. There’s no way you could prep this car for the work that needs to be done in a weekend by yourself. No way.

If this was brought to me with a budget of $5K I’d assume one of my buddies was pranking me. The labor on a job like this for the metal work is a five figure bill. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Markwemple said:

That’s definitely apples to oranges. 

IMG_4407.jpeg

31 minutes ago, Tdh said:

C’mon man, you’re joking right? This is way beyond just floor pans on a bug. There’s no way you could prep this car for the work that needs to be done in a weekend by yourself. No way.

If this was brought to me with a budget of $5K I’d assume one of my buddies was pranking me. The labor on a job like this for the metal work is a five figure bill. 

Not to speak for @Markwemplebut I read his comment differently, as though he was indicating $2.5-$5k for a DIY budget (ie, just materials and overhead costs, with free labor).  And he was referencing the the bug pan as an indication of his skill level and what can be achieved with a solid plan and prep, not as a claim he could do this in a weekend. 

Anyway, if that’s what he meant, I agree.  

sounds like most everyone is saying the same thing.  This is fixable if you want to do it, but not worthwhile if you’re interested in flipping or coming close to recouping $$. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tdh said:

There's not much there there.

;-)

• Like 1

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

On 9/20/2023 at 12:11 AM, resra said:

steering wheel

That old thing? @PapaSmurfen, I’ll do you and Resra a favor. I am sure Resra was just being a good guy for offering to take it off your hands. I’ll do you one better. I’ll give you $50 for that albatros of a wheel since you’re in such a bind with this car. Let me know where to send the venmo and the shipping label. 😜

All jokes aside, I agree with everyone else! You could save the car (I think you can buy the rear shock towers and everything else) but probably only worth it if for some reason you just have a hankerin to do a ton of rust repair. I am in the middle of rust repair on a much smaller scale and it’s a lot of work (which I am overall enjoying and learning a lot) but the gratification isn’t as immediate or direct a path as something like a suspension refresh, fluid changes, or other stuff you would be focusing on with a (much) less rusty car.