• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1976 BMW Motor Replacement - BoJo

BeMyWay
Go to solution Solved by Mark92131,

Hey Dudeland....I did an unscientific weight examination using an electronic bathroom scale:

• Stock 228mm flywheel = 18.2 lbs
  • Ligthen 228mm Flywheel = 17.0 lbs

I went down the 228mm flywheel "rabbit hole" because of ignorance and convience. 

I purchased the lighten flghtwheel because it was all that was available in my price range and it came with pressure plate and clutch plate.

Using lessons learned...for my use it doesn't matter if I use a stock 215 or a 228 lighten or not flywheel. 

This is going to be a weekend car for the streets and none of this might not really matter what flywheel I use.

As the 'sage', TobyB asked, "WHY?"...i.e., what are you doing it for?  Statements like this help me to sift through facts and fiction.

I really like the way the 2002faq group thinks.

Thanks a lot!

a

• Like 1

Light is seriously underrated.

15 hours ago, BeMyWay said:

Hey Dudeland....I did an unscientific weight examination using an electronic bathroom scale:

• Stock 228mm flywheel = 18.2 lbs
  • Ligthen 228mm Flywheel = 17.0 lbs

I went down the 228mm flywheel "rabbit hole" because of ignorance and convience. 

I purchased the lighten flghtwheel because it was all that was available in my price range and it came with pressure plate and clutch plate.

Using lessons learned...for my use it doesn't matter if I use a stock 215 or a 228 lighten or not flywheel. 

This is going to be a weekend car for the streets and none of this might not really matter what flywheel I use.

As the 'sage', TobyB asked, "WHY?"...i.e., what are you doing it for?  Statements like this help me to sift through facts and fiction.

I really like the way the 2002faq group thinks.

Thanks a lot!

a

I have been on the site for some time and @TobyB has a lot of these things figured out. 

I am not sure that I was that much help, but I am glad you got things sorted. 

A video of a quick rip when you get it all sorted would be awesome.  As for me, we just got hammered with snow,  not so bad if you ski, but no good for 2002's. 

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

Dudeland...you ROCK my friend! :D   You were help and continue to be of assistance to me.  "IF" I was paying for help, I would owe you a lot of money..., maybe I can pay you back in 2002faq dollars, it has about the same value as monopoly money...but some people still get excited!!!

Just as you noted, "TobyB has lots of these things figured out."...."he's been there and done that"! 

I'm glad, because it saves us from having a headache from trying to figure out what has gone wrong or "wondering if this is right".  Him sharing of his knowledge and wit, is a serious plus for this '02faq community.

We are really fortunate to have so many talented people on this forum...it is quite amazing. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, 2002iii said:

I'll buy that lightened 228mm flywheel if you aren't using it PM please.

Now see, you are reading my mind and that's not fair!

If I do decide to sell the 228mm lighten flywheel...then, I'll send you a pm, dm, mm???🤣

Thanks for checking.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, I'm back...did you miss me ? LOL

Well, I'm up to my old routine of trying to piece together BoJo.  In the process of installing the flywheel, I noticed the dowell was missing...how did I miss that?  So, now I am shopping for the pin and hope I can get it here by this weekend.

I've completed a few things:

• Cleaned the shifter assembly and dry fitted it to the transmission.
  • Installed the exhaust and intake headers
  • Rebuilt the 38/38...it looked to be okay, but why not?
  • Installed new guibo
  • Received and installed new motor and transmission mounts 
  • More stuff...:D

I'm hoping to shove the tranmission in first and then the engine.  I want to make sure I get all the items connected on the transmission, because of such little room under there with the 5speed.

Here are a few pictures...the red wagon hauls!

IMG_7282.thumb.JPG.7ca180ead6925ba335530b8fc6858f03.JPG

My shift kit refresh

IMG_7287.thumb.JPG.ec8188bbc5b9d830bc9e83af7f0548e8.JPG

Shifty...

IMG_7293.thumb.JPG.9e77ca2688327e35ec96a3aeb0b32d8e.JPG

Hopefully soon I hear it roar to life !!!

IMG_7306.thumb.JPG.65a97e000f0d6cf72ddf850056ebb2d0.JPG

IMG_7294.thumb.JPG.d587e9e608a189d1e5bd0f833a44d4fc.JPG

IMG_7298.thumb.JPG.8e8607c131d8973a964e05ce457691e3.JPG

IBB

• Like 1

Okay,  I am getting everything checked before I button up the clutch assembly.

I have the pilot "needle" bearing installed in the crank...it came this way.  

So, I see that my pilot "needle" bearing does not use a cover plate and felt ring....?   Am I correct???

See listing below: 

PilotBearingParts.jpg.09e2104a2d7ca197234a914ce1bbdcee.jpg

My new engine with pilot "needle" bearing setup:

IMG_7303.thumb.JPG.30281706d495b026eb66da9e0eb429d4.JPG

IMG_7327.thumb.JPG.cb0b57a2a7abb66f2a03b6428c31523d.JPG

IMG_7337(1).thumb.jpg.174645cd4f290a3d7ea0920dfe78d9dc.jpg

Anybody have any advice on the pilot "needle" bearing setup?   I thought it might throw the grease around the transmission nose shaft...but, there is no evidence of this happening on my old engine which has the same pilot "needle" bearing setup and nothing to hold the grease.

If not, I am going to slap 1-gram of multi-purpose grease and call it good as instructed above.

These little things are starting to make me a litle crazy!!!

stare-look.gif.aec0fcc5dbb82bd5fc70e4ffc87a2042.gif

Edited by BeMyWay
  • Like 1

On 2/6/2024 at 8:53 PM, BeMyWay said:

I want to make sure I get all the items connected on the transmission, because of such little room under there with the 5speed.

Did you change the seals on the shift selector and output shaft?  Mine looked good until I fired up my engine and they proceeded to leak.  Now I'm looking at pulling the transmission back out.

Mark92131

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

On 2/10/2024 at 1:09 PM, Mark92131 said:

Did you change the seals on the shift selector and output shaft?  Mine looked good until I fired up my engine and they proceeded to leak.  Now I'm looking at pulling the transmission back out.

Mark92131

Mark...the seals are in great shape.  I will pull the output shaft and look.  I can see the other seals and they seem to be fresh. 

Thanks for the reminder.

I had a little time between "whatever I really claim to be doing (I'm married)":rolleyes:, and installed the flywheel.

It's nice to see this engine coming together.

Used the flywheel lock:

IMG_7353.thumb.JPG.709237784e653fb9f7e0b2a4cf24dac6.JPG 

IMG_7350.thumb.JPG.90e999b5643ca01f94877d3d5278eb17.JPG

Added a little lipstick to show the timing marks:

IMG_7352.thumb.JPG.4a0238ac0dd8f8d9deadb326475572b8.JPG

Edited by BeMyWay
  • Like 1

Ohhhh.  

I hate to be 'that guy'.

but.

The only needle pilot bearing I've ever installed had a rubber seal on it, 

like an integrated wheel bearing seal AND the bearing itself.

The reason I remember was that it took a special tool to install it,

so that I didn't crush the seal or damage the bearing.

It was made by INA.

It seemed like a really good idea, since it would help to try to keep junk out of the delicate

little needles...

t

• Like 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

2 hours ago, TobyB said:

It seemed like a really good idea, since it would help to try to keep junk out of the delicate

little needles...

The needle bearings for the throttle shafts and throttle linkage shafts on the S14 have seals like that.  Locating replacements is a bit of a search.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.