• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1976 BMW Motor Replacement - BoJo

BeMyWay
Go to solution Solved by Mark92131,

Posted (edited)

Okay, I've had time to rest, think, rest some more and then think it through...still missed a few things.  

Anyway, I got the engine and transmission installed. 

Installed the transmission first, then the engine.  Not sure if installing the engine and transmission connected is best or not...but my helper (son) wanted to install them separately, so we did! 

No real hitches with the install except for stabbing the engine...had me nervous there for a minute.

Following are a few pictures.

Installed the transmission first.  I'm now looking for my new hoses for the heater connections..supposedly I'd purchased.  I have a few more items I'm still searching for also......Hmmm:blink:

IMG_7518.thumb.JPG.6ceb78383e4389d5c8e6060cd337ccea.JPG

Anyway, easy does it...

IMG_7529.thumb.JPG.63bb217f4a18dc33f5daa75feed76511.JPG

This load-leveler was very useful...

IMG_7531.thumb.JPG.58214ce1f239c73b94a58ffd44e8fe44.JPG

The mating up...

IMG_7532.thumb.JPG.a351a05975ba9a3c674de3620575fb3d.JPG

A very joyous moment...

IMG_7540.thumb.JPG.dc8877d91b3e7f2d063659ff55cfacb1.JPG

Fire in the hole!!!

IMG_7541.thumb.JPG.5989b5071918929a14b1318575bb5d27.JPG

Buttoning up the guibo and exhaust brace.

IMG_7559.thumb.JPG.69b1e97a70a8f59611260c315aa9d531.JPG

...Engine stand relegated to the staging area.

IMG_7546.thumb.JPG.496e0331a18ba867ad468b7c61ed25ca.JPG

Take care.

Edited by BeMyWay
  • Like 1

Light is seriously underrated.

• 4 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

I've been busy (lazy) and did not post about a few things completed.

BUT, I do have an issue which has stopped my progress.

Doing the startup...I wanted to pressurize the oil system, so I pulled the coil wire and cranked a few time to build oil pressure.  It built oil pressure nicely and the NEW Bosch SR441x starter turned the engine over nicely. 

IMG_7690.MOV

THEN, while preparing to start it up, the starter began to make a "high pitch...metal to metal noise, similar to the solenoid/plunger not fully engaging the drive gear and rubbing against the flywheel.  Sometimes the engine rotated slightly-and-intermittenly, while the starter continued to spin.

Starter_motor_diagram.png 

SO, I shorted the starter connections and it did the same thing.  Then, I pulled the NEW starter and bench tested It.  It worked well....Dangit!

I pulled my old starter off the shelf and it did great on the bench test.

SO, I installed the old starter...same thing...just the starter spin sound...and no engine engagement.:angry:

I checked the flywheel to see if it was the problem...it looks just fine.

IMG_7705.thumb.JPG.7534dfbba459fd7b06dbe53f35a80b45.JPG

IMG_7704.thumb.JPG.05adb4da27ceca437c0babf0e592b993.JPG

I'm stumped at the moment.

I would really appreciate any help or cheap entertainment about now.

Take care.

Edited by BeMyWay

If two starters reacted in the same fashion, suspect would be the ring gear on the new flywheel. 

Is that another engine sitting in the cradle? Measure the distance from starter mating face of the block to the ring gear and compare. 

Hopefully that is not the issue....

• Thanks 1

Hacker of many things... master of none.

Gunther March 19, 1974. Hoffman Motors march 22 1974 NYC

Non-OEM ring gear material and tooth profile can cause noise.  Been there, it's in the neighbor's pool.

• Like 1

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

Posted (edited)

I did a measurement from the starter bolt-up interface with the block to the face of the flywheel on both my old and new engines and they both measure ~ 1 1/8" distance.

Also, I tried to spin the ring-gear, and I could only make the whole flywheel rotate...whew!

Thank you for all your help...I will revisit everything you suggested after more coffee.

Back to breaking rocks !

Edited by BeMyWay

9 hours ago, BeMyWay said:

to the face of the flywheel

And the same measurement of both to the ring gear? 

Had a similar experience (not with an M10) when I had a ring gear replaced. The machine shop placed it .250" further onto the flywheel than indicated. Replaced my own ring gears after that....

Hacker of many things... master of none.

Gunther March 19, 1974. Hoffman Motors march 22 1974 NYC

Posted (edited)

OldRoller, I just took a look at the assortment of M10 flywheels (215 and 228mm) and they all have the same install position.

The installed flywheel's teeth and spacing are the same as my other flywheels.

Man, I am trying everything possible to not have to pull that transmission and exchange the flywheel.

But, FIRST I am going to buy another starter motor...because upon close inspection of the new bosch starter, it is a SR443X and not a SR440X (SR441X) like I thought.  I thought I ordered the right one some time ago...I must have got a good deal.

I sure hope the 440x will make a difference.

Regarding my old stock starter, I was having solenoid issues with it not engaging for some time...I was just hoping to get lucky and it would start my car........NOPE!

ANYONE HAVE A BOSCH SR440X FOR SALE???  Or, can you guide me to one for sale...these things are as rare as "hen's teeth".

Thank you all for your input...I'm waiting for the "big dude" to sing, so I can move on!:rolleyes: 

Edited by BeMyWay

You might try taking a sharpie and marking the flywheel and ring gear with a line then replace the starter and crank it then remove the starter and see if the marks line up to eliminate the possibility that the ring gear is tight enough around the flywheel.

Edited by Son of Marty
  • Thanks 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, Son of Marty said:

You might try taking a sharpie and marking the flywheel and ring gear with a line then replace the starter and crank it then remove the starter and see if the marks line up to eliminate the possibility that the ring gear is tight enough around the flywheel.

SOM...I like it...Thanks.

Update:

B I N G O !  

Give that man a lollipop!     I was so hoping you were wrong...but, you were right on.

I did the sharpie mark and to my disguss, that sucker rotatated like it was on a spit! :(

Now, somebody has to pull the transmission or engine and fix this!

The Luciano concert is cancelled until further notice. 

Edited by BeMyWay
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, OldRoller said:

Ugh! At least you have pinpointed the cause, well done. Good tip there, Son!

OldRoller: 

Thank you for sticking with me to get these results.

• Like 1

I am not sure if I trust having this ring-gear reset on this lighten flywheel.  I emailed IE for their opinion on fixing this flywheel.    

I am going to contact a machinest and get his opinion on resetting this ring-gear.

I am now checking the condition of another 228mm flywheel I have.  

Anyone have a 228mm flywheel for sale???

On 4/3/2024 at 8:33 AM, kbmb02 said:

It may be my pre-coffee fog, but something looks odd in the photo of the flywheel…

You might check if the ring gear is spinning independently of the remainder of the flywheel when the starter is engaged. That would explain the symptoms. -KB

kbmb02:

Thanks for the advice, even though you were in a pre-coffee fog. :)

• Thanks 1

Okay...we have retrieved the flywheel.

The original sharpie mark vs the slipped marks.

I don't know why the ring-gear separated from the flywheel...??? 

Are there ring gears with smaller ID available which could be used to repair this flywheel?

IMG_7739.thumb.JPG.e5c4200054c5682e177a04d27964e4ad.JPG

IMG_7740.thumb.JPG.0adcc61d6c0519f8749d8209fe3f2302.JPG