• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tiis w/ Snorkel?

paulyg

1 hour ago, Conserv said:

Since then, I suspect not every “original owner” was actually the original owner. 😉

I guess the original owner was Hoffman Motors or BMWNA as all cars were transferred from the manufacturer before sailing across the Atlantic. While I consider myself the original (titled) owner of my 74 but in fact it was a BMW dealers salesman cars, back then it was common for dealers to provide a car for their salesmen for a few months before the car was discounted and sold and then the IRS shit all over that practice. 

Edited by Son of Marty
  • Like 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

2 hours ago, d.hitchcock said:

Selling the Big Lie on behalf of the orange dude? For shame.

Back then I think Clinton was the prez.

No matter because the issue was forever that bennies like a car to drive was then and still is considered income and taxable.

• Like 1

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

<<I had a few conversations with the owner/seller, via e-mail, and when I questioned him about the snorkel and if the car had sustained front-end damage, he insisted that the car was completely original and was never in an accident.>>

The tii shown is wearing E30 bottlecap wheels, so the owner automatically loses all credibility regarding what was original. BWAhahahaha!

But seriously folks... as someone said earlier, until an original owner produces a 50-year-old photograph of his or her just-delivered tii with a snorkel nose, it's BS. Even if, just for the sake of argument, one or two or ten tiis rolled off the carrier and got "nosed" when being delivered to the dealer and were repaired at the dealer bodyshop with snorkel noses, for each one of these purely hypothetical cars, there are now a hundred owners insisting that THEIR car is one of the rare "factory snorkel tiis."

• Like 2

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1999 Z3, 1999 M Coupe, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)

I remember back then that Tii nose panels were NLA for a considerable amount of time. So if there was an unfortunate incident a carburated nose was sourced. At least the car was fixed but those that owned Tii`s back then either did not notice the snorkel nor care as long as the the nose was fixed. However if they did notice before paint, that repair could have been fabbed in to correct it. 

• Like 1

On 10/2/2023 at 7:06 PM, Mikesmalaga72 said:

…  those that owned Tii`s back then either did not notice the snorkel nor care as long as the the nose was fixed…

+1

100% agreed!

Ca. 1975, 95% of ‘02 owners were unaware there were “snorkel” and “tii” nosepieces. And of the 5% that had ever noted this difference, .1% cared whether a new snorkel nosepiece was installed on their tii.

I don’t recall anyone bringing up the “snorkel-on-a-tii” subject until the cars were over 30 years old.

Regards,

Steve

• Like 3

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Snorkel?? Where did that come from? Talk about a big lie.

Its an air inlet, not a "snorkel" These are "snorkels"

D82536C1-C216-4EA5-AC30-87C351E73075_4_5005_c.jpeg

305A251F-ABD3-4389-9DE8-1A47EE98A386.jpeg

6E48DA1C-767D-46AD-B1BE-3BA47F95DC4D.jpeg

1. (underwater diving) A hollow tube, held in the mouth, or mounted on and opening into a diving mask, used by swimmers for breathing underwater.
  2. A retractable tube fitted in diesel-engine submarines to allow sufficient ventilation that the engines may be used at periscope depth.

I suspect a cover up! My pointless 02s worth to a pointless, in danger of veering off the rails debate😉

Edited by tech71
  • Haha 2

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris