• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another horn question :)

DonF
Go to solution Solved by John76,

Have read lots of previous posts on “horn not working” but still have question.  Mine works occasionally and soon need TX inspection. 

Can I probably assume the horn failed or needs adjustment if relay clicks when horn buttons depressed?  

And is there an “easy” way to remove horn?   Very little opening/space to remove bolt with wrench. Need to remove grill to access?  

Trying to get back on road after many months in garage hibernation

Much thanks,

Don in Dallas

Original owner

Jade green 1976

• Solution

If the relay "clicks" when the horn buttons are pressed, then the easy way to check the horn is to measure the voltage on the #87 relay terminal. Should be 12V when the horn is pressed. If it is, then you need to remove the front left grill to access the horn.

Clean the contacts and the ground point. If still no "honk", then disassemble and clean the horn innards.

If no voltage on #87, then replace the relay.

Fuse6.thumb.jpg.cec2b24ad4a93facac32cac52c6ea53a.jpg

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, John76 said:

remove the front left grill to access the horn.

Clean the contacts and the ground point. If still no "honk", then disassemble and clean the horn innards.

FYI, if you have a roundie or (I think) a 74 squarelight, they all have two horns, one mounted on each hood hinge support so you may have to remove both grilles. But it's kinda unlikely that both horns would fail simultaneously, so perhaps you have only had one operational horn and now it's quit.  

At least some of the horns used on 2002s (the "seashell" style with the curved trumpet, and possibly the "flat" [like a VW Beetle] horn) have an adjustment screw (or bolt head) on the back side of the horn's exterior (where its mounting stud is located). 

Remove the offending horn, hook it up to the battery with jumper wires, and slowly turn the adjustment nut 'till the horn honks.  If that doesn't happen (remember to turn it both ways to its stop), then dismantle to clean the contact points.  

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

2 hours ago, DonF said:

Mine works occasionally and soon need TX inspection. 

Most likely horn 'Ring' got out of position. Horn ring has a plastic casing at its base and should fit/slide into the bottom trim panel. You don't need to remove steering wheel. Just remove bottom trim panel and observe horn ring position and adjust accordingly.

Screenshot2023-10-05at1_40_30PM.thumb.png.7067a37067201faad7b97051f5258d60.pngScreenshot2023-10-05at1_41_30PM.thumb.png.612fe68600897c62d861003befb3a375.png

76 2002 Sienabraun

2015 BMW F10

My 74 only had one horn until I fixed it with 2 Hella red ones, the 2 tone horns with the 2 notes clashing will draw more attention than a single note. If the relay clicks your past the horn ring most likely the relay points are burnt or the horn needs to be fiddled with like Mike said.

Edited by Son of Marty

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

And John, Mike, Buckeye, and Son… 

These are great responses and of help.  I’ll for sure save John’s terrific diagram for this and future use.  And, Mike, it’s ‘76 so only one wonky horn. Will take a look soon.  Would be cool to add a second maybe. 
Best to you ‘02 guys……..  getting excited about putting the beauty back on the road. 

Next to find a Dallas mechanic who knows what a carburetor is.     Have a little drip from the bowl… 

Hey John76!!   Your advice and diagram were perfect.

Got no V from terminal 87 to ground when horn button pushed.  Then shorted from wire 87 to battery 12v and “blast”!   That old thing is damn loud in a garage.  Problem is the relay - it’s activating but not connecting the 87 terminal.  So now to find replacement relay.   Thank you John and forum! 

ALSO - as an aside and seems strange to me - AC electric fan came on when jumping wire 87 to 12v before trying to honk horn.    I installed a Clardy AC many, many years ago.   :)

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, DonF said:

Problem is the relay - it’s activating but not connecting the 87 terminal.

If you're careful, you can remove the plastic (or metal, if it's the original relay) cover and clean the points.  I suspect they're not making a good connection when the horn circuit is energized.  

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite