• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best paint for suspension parts - epoxy or ?

lunarkingdom

Looking for the best paint I can use when rebuilding my suspension and front/rear subframes and parts. Black specifically. What do you guys use? I was going to have them powder coated but will be doing some custom stuff that might make that hard to do and also painting would be cheaper. I will be sandblasting everything. What lasts the best and keeps the parts rust free?

Thanks! Looking forward to hearing your ideas and learn from your experience.

Edited by lunarkingdom

Hard to beat POR-15 for coating rust protection. I have also had good luck with Rustoleum spray paints. Key is always prep, prime and 3 or 4 building coats.

Hacker of many things... master of none.

Gunther March 19, 1974. Hoffman Motors march 22 1974 NYC

I have had poor luck with POR- it's brittle, and chips very easily.

It is also misnamed- if you paint it over rust, it will encourage more rust.

Me, I like an etch primer, epoxy over that, and then something pretty bouncy.

Like, I dunno, truck bed liner or something like that.

No, I lie- I don't bother painting undercarriages any more.  Maybe some rustoleum

if it's bare metal.

t

• Like 3

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Do you spray equipment? Compressor?

I have all that and yet these days I use this VHT rattle can product.

Comes in gloss or matte finish, covers well, doesn’t clog like crappy rustoleum.

Affordable, durable, needs no primer.

Works great if you follow the directions!

2A70B269-7AA0-4147-8D2D-731BE0581767.jpeg

Edited by tech71
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

I like the Hammerite smooth finish, build up 2 or 3 coats and it'll look like powder coating but resists chips and can be touched up easily. Hammerite is now owned by Rustolem so the spray cans are found mostly on line and not in stores.

• Like 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Pickelx 20 is a rust convertor.  Not known by many but this is the best rust convertor I've found. Then use some "Zero Rust"on top. I found the Zero Rust better then Por15, not as brittle and sticks better. Quality epoxy paint (PPG-Glasurit-Axalta) would also work well as a protecting coat.

HTH

dlm ny country

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Mikesmalaga72 said:

Used Imron over etch on some Tii struts. looks great.

Imron is amazing stuff.

Sorry to go a bit off topic - but as a kid my family's body shop got the contract to paint the city fire trucks - with high visibility yellow green Imron paint. There was some paint left over, and being incredible paint, my Dad decided that our 62 International Scout should be painted with it. I can't hear mention of Imron paint without remembering this - police would wave me through at traffic accidents, because obviously who else but someone with the fire department would have that color?I never understood how they could see a 17 year old kid and think, "He must be with the Fire Department? Sure a 6' 128 lb 17 year old kid, that's a fireman!" 🤣  @Mike Self Did you ever see that little Scout running around Beavercreek?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Koboldtopf - '67 1600-2

Einhorn - '74 tii

My tii had almost everything covered in POR by a previous owner - it’s peeling off.

For my 69, I had pretty much every suspension component and some engine items powder coated 50% gloss black by a local company.  If you can afford to do it, this is what I’d do again for another project car.

IMG_1966.jpeg

• Like 6

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

IMO, the only bad thing about powder coat on suspension parts is that it is super hard and therefore chips.  Unfortunately powder coat doesn't 'touch up' (at least last time I checked), that means a total re-do.  Any of the epoxy paints are good I think, I ended up using the VHT satin black.  Not too glossy, not too flat.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, markmac said:

Unfortunately powder coat doesn't 'touch up' (at least last time I checked), that means a total re-do.

Maybe I was gullible, but I bought a rattle can of touch up paint from my powder coat guy when I did my suspension.  I have not had to touch up anything so far, so I don't know if it works well or not.