• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best paint for suspension parts - epoxy or ?

lunarkingdom

6 hours ago, markmac said:

IMO, the only bad thing about powder coat on suspension parts is that it is super hard and therefore chips.  Unfortunately powder coat doesn't 'touch up' (at least last time I checked), that means a total re-do.  Any of the epoxy paints are good I think, I ended up using the VHT satin black.  Not too glossy, not too flat.

Zero issues on my car, even after driving highway miles to PA, NY, NC and SC.

• Like 1

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

POR 15, SEM Rust Trap, etc., are just moisture cured urethane paints. They work okay, but aren’t as durable as a 2K urethane. The biggest issue I have with them is the advice per the instructions that a primer isn’t required. BS! Bad idea. Also, as @TobyB said, painting over rust with them is a bad plan. 

I generally use an epoxy primer and decent inexpensive 2k urethane product (Nason, UPOL, whatever) on parts. It’s a longer process than a rattle can, and you have to have a compressor and a gun but the finished product is worth it. @TobyB recommended the use of an etching primer under the epoxy. I understand where his head is at, but I generally don’t do this and get good results. I’ve painted a few land rovers (aluminum body panels) and found etching primers to be tricky from an adhesion standpoint. If you want a flatter finish with the 2K urethane you can buy a flattener to mix into the paint. I’ve also used the SEM trim black product over epoxy primer and that turned out really great. Did it on the side covers of an old Ducati I ride a lot and it’s held up well. 

Powder coating suspension parts works fine, but you are gonna get chips/damage to the coating and you won’t be able to easily repair the powder coat. That said, you’ll get chips/damage if you decide to paint instead of powder coat and I doubt  you’ll be rushing to remove the suspension just to repair the chipped paint😂.

The bonus with powder coating is that most places that do it will media blast/prep/ powder coat for you. You just drop off the parts. If you don’t feel like doing all that yourself then it might be worth considering. 

Edited by Tdh
  • Thanks 1