• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BMW M10 oil filter drain funnel

Maximillian

Yes folks, now that I've joined the empty nest club I have more time to fiddle on my 02 and E30 M3. It's been a while since changing the oil on either of them myself instead of my son taking care of it.

Now at with age comes the impatience and the awareness of the hazards of getting needlessly exposed to used oil. So has anyone seen a drain funnel or other "contraption" that catches and neatly collects the oil draining out of the oil filter housing while taking oil filter off instead of having it drain down the block ? Yeah, I know there's the idea of cutting up a used milk jug and using it but it is very bulky for the space. Open to comments, suggestions and ....

Thinking in the way of how AGA Tools so cleverly designed this drain tool to collect the used oil but they do not have anything in the works for the M10, etc spin on oil filters.

AGATOOLS.COM

AGA Tools

I've been so impressed after using their drain plug solution that we are going to be a dealer for them soon.

Best,

Max

Edited by Maximillian

Maximillian Importing Company

www.bimmer.com

800-950-2002

classicbmwparts@gmail.com

27 minutes ago, Maximillian said:

Yeah, I know there's the idea of cutting up a used milk jug and using it but it is very bulky for the space.

I used a laundry jug.  If it is too bulky, cut it smaller.  :) 

image.thumb.jpeg.55762d5ab3249f7658a14122ffbf81f1.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.ab2cada1c1480c9b267faafb7eb16140.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.a8f1dfc82c75780310f106169482cae5.jpeg

They discussed the baggie-trick in this thread.

Tom

Edited by '76mintgrün'02
  • Like 1

I take a liter Schweppes tonic water, a bucket full of ice and a fifth of Vodka, mix a few vodka tonics until the  tonic is gone then cut the top of the bottle off (sharp knifes and drinking, what could go wrong) it'll fit over the filter and still let you use the filter wrench.

• Like 4

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

I just let the oil drain out of the sump for 10-15 minutes (warm/hot), then replace the drain plug and scoot the drain pan over 'till it's under the filter. 

I then carefully loosen the filter and unscrew it, keeping it as vertical as possible.  Once clear of the housing, I tip it just a little into the waiting drain pan, then set it upright, pull the drain pan out and invert the filter on the drain screen atop my pan.  When it's drained, like Leucadian I place it in a newspaper bag and put it in the trash.  Unless I'm clumsy I rarely spill more than a few drops.

mike

• Like 2

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Suggest you 3D printer guys come up with a drain trough that clips around the base of the filter housing and extends down far enough to clear the sump.

Honda Ridgeline has such a trough so the subframe isn't covered with oil.  Oil on the subframe would drip for days without it.

• Like 1

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

1 hour ago, Dudeland said:

Watch Wes Work recommends this one.

https://a.co/d/cnDdNjC

For 26$  I'll buy a case of beer and stick with my old bent up piece of aluminum flashing.

Edited by jimk
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

Tii is much messier to R&R the filter.   Newspaper bags can melt if the engine is too warm.   I’ve used plastic grocery bags with limited success.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Royal Red 69 VW Squareback built 8/13/68 “Patty”

...because an old towel is... too easy?

Some of us have been wearing nitrile gloves for things like

this for decades.  And the toxins in used motor oil are perhaps a bit over- rated...

t

don't drink it used.  Fresh, it's fine.

• Like 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL