• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Clutch help

Bgfoot05
Go to solution Solved by Mark92131,

Short background, purchased a clean, good running 76 in August.  Not perfect but the more I drive the better it runs but with that more issues begin to pop up.  This purchase was much earlier than planned for me but state of vehicle and price pretty much put it in buy now or regret later bucket.  Recently had mechanic go over it because it seemed every time I would perform new to me pm maintenance I would find something new to put on list of things that need fixing. During the inspection the following were found,

1 leaking radiator(seems only when hot has to be a pinhole no puddles really have to look to see it) 

2 bad throw out bearing(right now just noisy zero issues shifting)

3 either leaking rear main seal or oil pan gasket(again minor right now not leaving oil anywhere the mechanic said they just saw oil while investigating the throw-out bearing)

I am planning attacking this over winter, the original plan was 5 speed swap I just got a g240 out of a 1983 320i with its 1.8 engine. (not sure what I'm going to do with the engine will ask opinions about that later).  But I have questions about the tranny and until those can be financially answered by metric mechanic in terms of a rebuild, I don't mind sitting on the transmission.

Currently clutch is fine just bearing noise so this is where I need the help, mostly from a money stand point.

as I understand it the e21 has the same size flywheel, is there any reason I can't use a clutch kit from an e21 using the proper throw out bearing for the 4speed?

I ask because, it seems e21 clutch kit is relatively cheaper than  when I go looking for the clutch for the 2002 and I will use the throw out bearing when I do the trans swap. Then I will just have to get a 2002 throw out bearing for my car

So this is what I believe my options are

1. replace throw out bearing, when the trans is off, remove clutch and flywheel, and inspect rear main seal and oil pan for leaks and take care of when discovered, and just use removed flywheel and clutch. Then address clutch replacement with the trans swap.  (note i do plan on removing the radiator before all of this and all cooling system hoes, thermostat, and probably water heater since all the posts do recommend removing the radiator when tipping the engine for removing the trans.

2. replace clutch, throw out bearing, resurface flywheel, address oil leak as above.

also just for note I am going to be rebuilding the shifter linkage while the trans is out and am currently rebuilding a heater box for replacement when the cooling system is out

I just want a solid driver, I plan on making appropriate upgrades when they seem appropriate, PO couldn't provide any useful information regarding miles etc.  Again runs like a top right now I just want all these small issues addressed before spring without breaking the bank.

I did kill what extra funds I had having some paint issues that if left alone would have turned into cancer here in WI even if I don't drive it in the winter and there were sunroof seal and function issues I wanted handled because I didn't want to risk it leaking if I got caught in the rain so I'm kind of strapped right now.

My skill level mechanically is high enough I am not nervous doing this my self, I just need some direction in terms of parts and best logical path for this.

TIA

HELLO I'M 

Trying my Best

• Solution

If you are strapped for cash, you could just replace/fix the things that need replacing/fixing.  Pull the radiator, have it pressure tested and see if they can seal it.  Pull the 4 speed, remove the flywheel and clutch, and see if the main seal is leaking.  New pilot bearing, new main seal if leaking, clean the flywheel, inspect the clutch for wear and replace if needed, replace throw-out bearing and re-install the trans.  Save the 5 speed and cooling system refresh for another day when you have more cash.  Back in the day, I would daily-drive mine, so repairs were pretty much limited to what I could do in a weekend.

Mark92131

• Like 1

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

I would attend to the radiator first, pin hole can and will enlarge suddenly. The cars I've brought back to daily driver status I have found that by far the best way to do it is rebuild the systems that need attention completely IE. if doing the brakes replace all the hydraulic parts and hoses along with pads and shoes and calipers if needed then your done with that for a decade or so. In your case I would drive the car until you have saved enough to do the trans swap and address the oil leak at the rear of the engine, then onto the next system.

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Thanks mark, bright side I already have a new radiator the shop wanted 700 to recore and found an aluminum direct replacement for 200.  The primary for the refresh of the whole system was the fan didn't work and I need a defroster, I sourced a box with a working fan cheap and the foam replacements aren't bad.  I appreciate the info I do have another car I guess by driver I mean seasonal driver.  

HELLO I'M 

Trying my Best

I think I'm going to hold off on the clutch, but to that am i able to use an e21 clutch kit when the time comes for the trans swap?  And is there a throw out bearing from a manufacturer I should be looking for?

HELLO I'M 

Trying my Best

33 minutes ago, Bgfoot05 said:

am i able to use an e21 clutch kit when the time comes for the trans swap?  And is there a throw out bearing from a manufacturer I should be looking for?

The 76 uses a 215mm clutch disk, same as the 320i, so they should be interchangeable, don't know about the pressure plate.  The 4 speed throw out bearing is part # 21511204225.  These have gotten stupid expensive as late, best price I found on a quick search was $80 on eBay.

WWW.EBAY.COM

NEW SACHS CLUTCH RELEASE BEARING FOR A FROM A RECENT PART BUYOUT, UNTOUCHED FOR 30+ YEARS.

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

1 minute ago, Mark92131 said:

The 76 uses a 215mm clutch disk, same as the 320i, so they should be interchangeable, don't know about the pressure plate.  The 4 speed throw out bearing is part # 21511204225.  These have gotten stupid expensive as late, best price I found on a quick search was $80 on eBay.

WWW.EBAY.COM

NEW SACHS CLUTCH RELEASE BEARING FOR A FROM A RECENT PART BUYOUT, UNTOUCHED FOR 30+ YEARS.

Thanks I appreciate it, ya I agree everything for the late model 02 in terms of clutch seems stupid expensive compared to early and e21.

HELLO I'M 

Trying my Best

If you are not going to change the clutch until the trans swap, don't spend the money on an 02 clutch release (throw out) bearing.  The 5 spd trans uses a different release arm and bearing.

(Throw out is John Deere tractor talk, but if that is what ya'll are driving then it's ok to call it that)

• Like 1

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

When you go to replace the sunroof weatherstrip, the best price I've found is from Rock Auto!  They're URO brand and look identical to the stuff that BMW sells--for about half the $$.  And when you go to do it, I did  column or two on how to replace the weatherstrip and then adjust the sunroof panel.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

7 hours ago, Bgfoot05 said:

is there any reason I can't use a clutch kit from an e21 using the proper throw out bearing for the 4speed?

no reason not too,  disc and pressure plate are the same PNs as later 2002s

• Thanks 1

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

5 hours ago, jimk said:

If you are not going to change the clutch until the trans swap, don't spend the money on an 02 clutch release (throw out) bearing.  The 5 spd trans uses a different release arm and bearing.

(Throw out is John Deere tractor talk, but if that is what ya'll are driving then it's ok to call it that)

Well the clutch release bearing is bad so I'm not going to keep driving with it until it fails completely despite when I'm replacing the transmission but I appreciate the info

HELLO I'M 

Trying my Best

5 hours ago, jimk said:

Throw out is John Deere tractor talk, but if that is what ya'll are driving then it's ok to call it that)

Yeah Jim it's like motor vs engine, blower vs supercharger or band aid vs adhesive strip bandage, good luck changing the world back to the correct language😜 

• Like 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

42 minutes ago, jimk said:

SON, you forgot "lugnuts", wheel lugs are on truck wheels.  My 02 doesn't have lugs.

Your 02 has other stuff!

😁

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Me, I'd drop the 4- speed, 

(easy)

pop the clutch off, and if the pressure 

plate and friction plate look good, reuse them.

Just buy a new throwout and pilot bearing. (there are 2 pilots- look before you buy)

If they're obviously worn, buy the 320 kit.

t

throws out obsolete jargon all the time.

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL