• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Catalog of Factory and Aftermarket Steering Wheels

JohnP_02

I have been discussing with @steve k. about putting together a "Steering Wheel Database" identical to the Wheels database the forum has now, but I think it would be immensely helpful - and fun! to have something a little less formal to share pictures and information first. The forums collective knowledge would be a great help for this project, so I've borrowed the title of this thread from some other car forums to use it for reference. The objective being to try and catalog as many OEM and aftermarket steering wheels that were available during the NK/2002 years as well as e9, e3, e12, etc. and help clear up much of the questions, confusion, and misinformation that has been out there for year. Feel free to contribute as you wish.

The steering wheel is such a critical and integral part of the driving experience, I was hooked the first time I swapped out the beloved but gigantic bus wheel in my 76. To me the steering wheel is one the few but important touch points and serves also as a major focal point in the car. Driving a 2002 with a great period correct steering wheel makes the whole experience. I know there are some people that think this is too much ado about nothing, but for a lot of us I think the connection we make with the steering wheel and other period accessories really helps to make the car. 

I will get this thread started with one of my favorite OEM steering wheels and that is the Petri Sport Wheel. We could probably write a whole book about Petri's, but I will keep this short and concise. There were essentially 3 sizes available 350mm (part# 32331113192), 380mm (part# 32331113738 or 32331112244), and 400mm (part# 32331109738). Any size could and was used on any model of BMW, although the hubs either had a horn contact pin (2002) or a horn contact ring (e9/e3). There was also a very unique and special Petri horn button that was available with the BMW roundel. Even a few rare versions with a checkered flag and Alpina emblem were made. They were much heavier and sturdier than most steering wheels at the time due to their being made of steel then plaited with nickel and chrome, a very rare option was the spokes finished in a black mattschwarz finish. The grip was made from molded rubber. The only exception to this was the very rare 380mm CSL Petri wheel that was hand stitched in leather with a slightly firmer rubber padding underneath and a longer hub. I could go on and on about the Petri Sport wheels, but pictures speak a thousand words! Here are a few from my collection:

350mm Petri Sport Wheel 

image.thumb.jpeg.5b0574a0f7d1e9ba592c24f7a346d070.jpeg

350mm Petri Sport Wheel Black Spokes 

image.thumb.jpeg.9b2f20563dd62fe265ed32199efe5d51.jpeg

380mm Petri Sport Wheel 

image.thumb.jpeg.7f9a3ee8525a5f2d1d861ae3f5ac0b90.jpeg

400mm Petri Sport Wheel 

image.thumb.jpeg.0cb3c8cc768bc754a75995397efbd2b8.jpeg

380mm Leather CSL Petri Sport Wheel 

image.thumb.jpeg.9b8f937d6af5550b2a9455113033282f.jpeg

Petri Horn Buttons 

image.thumb.jpeg.7a339b4e6fcefaf9e8fc582010325da1.jpeg

Petri Sport Hubs

image.thumb.png.6c00bd1eca2b85c80200fa75427aab98.png

image.thumb.jpeg.880c07d52d06d99da974397ddfc3aec1.jpeg

Edited by JohnP_02
  • Like 10

1969 2002 Granada, 2nd owner

1976 2002 Fjordblau (sold)

A few too many steering wheels

I'll rummage around in my parts department and post a picture of my wood-rim "bus wheel" that originally came off a 2800CS, but was also factory on the 2800 sedans.  It was manufactured with the appropriate holes to allow the spring-loaded horn contact as used on 2002s, and the mounts for the brass contact right, as used on the CS coupes and E3 sedans.  Thus it could be ordered from your friendly dealer back in the day as an accessory for either car.  I've seen the same wheel with flat black spokes and the horn push only in the center, but don't have one.  

mike

• Like 3

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I guess one consideration I have is based upon what to do about the huge selection of Momo wheels. Their whole catalog from past to present fits my adapter, and thus my car. But it likely makes no sense to have thousands of entries for Momo wheels in an 02 listing…

Try to limit it to wheels those which can be validated to be ‘in period’ or dated within 02 production? What of classic wheel reproductions that look period? What about a 1980s wheel that looks great?

Even Nardi wheels suffer this issue.

Original wheels are easy to auto-include — but there’s really not enough of those for a database section.

Aftermarket is harder because any adapter opens up a whole wheels catalog (or many,  depending on the popularity of the adapter bolt pattern).

I guess it comes down to intent of the DB and what’s it trying to do — show everything that fits an 02, show all the wheels FAQers have fit to their 02s, show just a limited selection of aftermarket wheels defined by ?? criteria….

(rabblerousing)

Edited by visionaut
  • Like 2

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

I can provide what I have- however we could also link to other similar threads

WWW.EARLY911SREGISTRY.ORG

Original post.............

https://forum.bmw-02-club.de/index.php?topic=114562.msg114562#msg114562
Standard 1600-2

IMG_1252.thumb.jpeg.a4b7f9f7f857c3305f1ca07323a17dd7.jpeg

1600GT (nearly identical to 1600ti)

IMG_1250.thumb.jpeg.ea66f88e8fd06668059a30dbdf333d46.jpeg

Euro ti late with wrong (early horn)

IMG_1251.thumb.jpeg.1ad33c2b6ac0433644422d188ad6c10e.jpeg

Euro ti early with late horn
Here the horn buttons are mismatched the upper horn should go on the lower wheel and vice versa

IMG_1253.thumb.jpeg.06a1e1acc062d5548fd78f1a6f49980d.jpeg

Edited by uai
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The 38cm flat Petri steering wheel was also original factory equipment on some of the early VW Sciroccos (1975-76). We used to remove them from the wrecking yards for less than $10 / each.  Some of the BMW establishments would just replace the horn button and install them on e9 coupes or 02s. I'm aware that this may be just too much to swallow for some coupe owners who have to contend with the possibility that their cherished Petri may have had much humbler origins.  There was also a dished version of the wheel used on the VW Passat.

Volkswagen Scirocco Brochure 1974 DE.jpg

Edited by Alexander

The 1968 BMW 1600 and 2002 "Bus" steering wheel.

The original BMW "Bus" steering wheel for 1968 1600s and 2002s differed from the later "Bus" steering wheels in both, design and build quality. It has simple horn metal paddles vs. the busier design on later years.  And, it has a completely different design for the center pad which is smooth and seated on a polished aluminum circular plate. This isn't the case with the later "Bus" steering wheels where the circular pad has a relief in it and is seated directly into the main body of the steering wheel. There is no polished plate underneath it, but rather a faux aluminum or chrome trim around the circumference to mimic the aluminum plate.

405736-28.jpg

The later BMW "Bus" steering wheel below is of cheaper build quality. During the latter part of 1969 BMW cut costs as it entered mass production for the 02 models. In addition to the steering wheel and trim it switched to the cheaper short neck diff and driveshaft among other things.

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by Alexander

The one spoke steering wheel for the BMW 1600-2 (model years 1966-67, only) is smaller in diameter from the original "Bus" wheel introduced in 1968. The early BMW 1600-2 Cabriolets ( not sure of the model years) were also equipped with this one spoke wheel.

047.JPG

Below, an  early 1600-2 single spoke steering wheel (1966-67) next to the larger 1968 "Bus" wheel for the 1600-2 and 2002. The single spoke wheel is missing its pad as these are some of my $8  finds from my trips to the wrecking yards during the 90s. The pic is also inverted.

IMG_1984.jpg

Edited by Alexander
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Alexander said:

The 38cm flat Petri steering wheel was also original factory equipment on some of the early VW Sciroccos (1975-76). We used to remove them from the wrecking yards for less than $10 / each.  Some of the BMW establishments would just replace the horn button and install them on e9 coupes or 02s. I'm aware that this may be just too much to swallow for some coupe owners who have to contend with the possibility that their cherished Petri may have had much humbler origins.  There was also a dished version of the wheel used on the VW Passat.

Volkswagen Scirocco Brochure 1974 DE.jpg

I think all of the VW Petris were dished somewhat so pretty easy to distinguish.

HBChris

`73 3.0CS Chamonix, `69 2000 NK Atlantik

`70 2800 Polaris, `79 528i Chamonix

10 hours ago, HBChris said:

I think all of the VW Petris were dished somewhat so pretty easy to distinguish.

No Sir, from my observations that is not the case . There were both, flat and dish style Petris fitted to VWs. The Sciroccos got the flat versions from most of the examples I've seen. For some of the Petris the shape of the covered portion of the spoke where it meets the rim is a square profile while on others it is slightly "V" shaped. There is also variation in stitching and texture of the leather. But, this has less to do with the marque to which it was fitted as it has with the variation in the production run.

The Petri BMW - VW topic has been a heated source of debate, especially among some coupe owners who can't come to terms with the fact that the same part may have been fitted to a VW, a common peoples  "Salt of the Earth" car. Below is an example of one of the flat Petri wheel versions which was OEM equipment on some VWs.

sorgente_652793.d1554369699.jpg

Edited by Alexander

2 hours ago, Alexander said:

The Petri BMW - VW topic has been a heated source of debate

Yes, and if we could avoid that on this thread that would be great. 

I appreciate the pictures of your early bus wheel, as I was not aware of the subtle details in early vs later ones. Thanks!

• Like 1

1969 2002 Granada, 2nd owner

1976 2002 Fjordblau (sold)

A few too many steering wheels

19 hours ago, HBChris said:

I can assure I have not seen any coupe owners fretting over VW Petris.  Thanks for the info.

No problem. I'm not a Petri expert. But, I'm confident in what I've observed and seen at the wrecking yards. 

Edited by Alexander