• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Catalog of Factory and Aftermarket Steering Wheels

JohnP_02

There is also this wood version of the common "Bus" wheel. It has the same center pad and spokes as the post 68 "Bus" wheel, but with a wood rim. I've usually come across these wheels at the salvage yards fitted to some e9s and later NK 2000s as original equipment. The wheel also fits the 02.

001.jpg

AC817E50-1B68-4454-B0AC-10B79BBC1594.jpeg

Restored_01.JPG

• Like 2

If it was a database this wouldn’t happen so +1 for a database from my side.

Or just keep it to the facts.

A pic of a BMW wheel an what it is or where it fits eventually a part number if you‘re ocd. That should be enough.

The two spoke wheel was used longer in Europe incl. modelyear 71

Edited by uai
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, Alexander said:

The later BMW "Bus" steering wheel below is of cheaper build quality. During the latter part of 1969 BMW cut costs as it entered mass production for the 02 models.

Haven't seen a "first series" model year '69 in awhile, so don't remember if they have the smooth center hub cover or the later embossed one, but my Feb 69 production car (40 after the changeover to short neck diffs, etc) has the embossed steering wheel hub cover.  I think--but wouldn't swear--that all model year 69 cars have the embossed hub cover.

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

@uai The goal of course is to have a compete and accurate steering wheel database, but with all the nuances I am hoping to gather as much info from the collective faq wisdom to accomplish this. I guess you can consider this and the steering wheel thread as a precursor to the database. 

Here is one of my favorite aftermarket wheels, an early first-gen Momo Monza. I particularly like this one as it is my favorite size at 370mm which is unfortunately difficult to find. The typical sizes available to the public were 350mm and 380mm. The earliest examples are identified by the engraved MONZA and the stacked MOMO on the back. 

0.thumb.jpg.ce9aa4883ca5f7f65be25bcadb6de2cf.jpg

1969 2002 Granada, 2nd owner

1976 2002 Fjordblau (sold)

A few too many steering wheels

3 hours ago, Mike Self said:

Haven't seen a "first series" model year '69 in awhile, so don't remember if they have the smooth center hub cover or the later embossed one, but my Feb 69 production car (40 after the changeover to short neck diffs, etc) has the embossed steering wheel hub cover.  I think--but wouldn't swear--that all model year 69 cars have the embossed hub cover.

I don't know when they exactly switched to the embossed hub cover wheel. I have an early 69 1600-2 with long neck diff. And, it came with the newer embossed style wheel unless the previous owner installed it, which I doubt as the car appeared all original when I obtained it back in 1990. Te changeover may have occurred during the production run towards the end of 68.

Having a couple of examples of each style bus wheel, I can certainly conclude that the earlier version with the smooth cover is of superior quality. It probably cost 2x to produce. I'm sure that's the reason they ditched it. I'll take the wheels apart and provide photos when I get a chance. I've attached a schematic of the three main versions for the round tail light cars. The bus wheel in the center is the early version. Notice the extra parts and greater complexity. Some of these parts are made of brass. That part into which the smooth pad fits is made of polished aluminum or something similar. It adds quite a bit to the cost of the wheel.

Perhaps somebody here with an early 69 02 with long neck diff or later 68 02 can provide us input. I'm aware it may be irrelevant to some, but it would be really  good information for some of us trying to put together the build progression and evolution of the 02.

02steeringwheelsIstock.jpg.1bca8df80bef21653a85c281c1cb2051.jpg

Edited by Alexander

My former 11/68 build date 69 had the embossed center hub.  And as mentioned earlier, the wood bus wheel came on the 69/70 2800 sedans, 2800CS coupe as well as the Series 2 NK sedans like my 2000.

Edited by HBChris
  • Like 1

HBChris

`73 3.0CS Chamonix, `69 2000 NK Atlantik

`70 2800 Polaris, `79 528i Chamonix

3 hours ago, uai said:

If it was a database this wouldn’t happen so +1 for a database from my side.

Or just keep it to the facts.

I've relayed my experiences and knowledge associated with the steering wheels. And, that includes endless trips to the salvage yards where I found most of these wheels and others associated with other marques. I've removed my input associated with the couple of very rare Alfa wheels I found to keep this focused on BMWs. I'm also aware that some people here have nothing but contempt for me. And, the feeling is mutual. 

Edited by Alexander

1 hour ago, HBChris said:

My former 11/68 build date 69 had the embossed center hub.  And as mentioned earlier, the wood bus wheel came on the 69/70 2800 sedans, 2800CS coupe as well as the Series 2 NK sedans like my 2000.

That confirms my observations from the wrecking yards. But, the factory seemed to equip only some of the e9s and later NKs with this wheel. Was it an option ? I've also read somewhere that the wood wheel was more popular in Great Britain. I don't know. It's certainly more expensive to produce.

All of the 69/70 2800s I have seen, and I own a one owner 70, had the wood wheel.  I think Hoffman ditched it in the 71 Bav to keep the price down as it was a decontented 2800.  Same with the 2800CS as the 3.0CS almost never had one and the Mark’s value to the dollar skyrocketed in 72/73.  Can’t say for certain with the Series 2 late 68 and on NKs.

• Like 1

HBChris

`73 3.0CS Chamonix, `69 2000 NK Atlantik

`70 2800 Polaris, `79 528i Chamonix

Here are two more examples of steering wheels.

The first has typically been referred to as a "Sport" steering wheel which has a thicker padded leather covered wheel with smaller circumference compared to that of the bus type wheel. The vinyl covered center pad  doubles as the horn button, with only indentations in the metal spokes.

The other is the typical later bus type steering wheel with a wood surround and a machined aluminum center. The plastic horn buttons are located in the plastic spokes. The aluminum center is attached to the wheel in a similar manner as the "Sport" wheel, although the locations of the attaching pegs differ to the point that these pads are not directly interchangeable.

image.jpeg

IMG_0810.jpg

1968 BMW 1600

On 11/25/2023 at 2:50 PM, SydneyTii said:

Motorola in leather

Motolita, I presume 😃

D7EF880A-2C69-4179-ADA4-4035B7BB0064.thumb.jpeg.b7cba0a0ac8402c5c7683be9c3743a88.jpeg

Please disregard the Porsche emblem in the horn button. It did come with a 2002 hub

Ed Z

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool