• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WTB 1971 BMW M10 Engine

Jasper

Hello all, 

I recently purchased a '71 roundie as a project, looking for a decent condition running motor near the Chicagoland area. I don't mind driving a few hours to the surrounding states to pick up, and am mainly looking for a "driver quality" motor, preferably not freshly rebuilt. 

If someone has one, or can point me in the direction of someone who has one that would be great! 

Thank you, 

Jasper

I cant point you to an engine but I would like to caution you..

Finding a driver quality used engine is not easy, anyone can tout an engine as a decent runner but few really are.

Dont take anyones word for it, unless you can see/hear it run and view a compression test and oil pressure.

Any engine laying in someones garage, barn, shed and promoted as "ran when pulled" is suspect.

Bought 3 used M10 "good running" engines in my time, all were crap.

IMO, anyone claiming a used engine is "good condition" should be able to prove it.

Otherwise they are just blowing smoke.

Whats wrong with the old engine?

Edited by tech71
  • Like 1

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

It is currently seized. Tried ATF/pb blaster for a few days with no signs of breaking free, also wasn't draining past the rings. Decided to pull the motor, flipped it upside down to take the pan off and try to tap it from the crank, no luck. Pulled the head off to find a bunch of rust piled on top of cylinder 4 (maybe the head gasket blew here and water sat there for 40 years rusting it shut?). 

Anyway, I am currently soaking more PB blaster on the tops of all the cylinders, if I can free them up and disassemble I may re hone & ring, or see if I can find a machine shop nearby who can take it from there.

My overall goal for the car is just to make it a good driver and do as much of the work myself  as possible. 

2 hours ago, Jasper said:

(maybe the head gasket blew here and water sat there for 40 years rusting it shut?).

Maybe, or maybe the cylinder head is cracked or warped.

2 hours ago, Jasper said:

if I can free them up and disassemble I may re hone & ring,

I'm betting #4 cylinder is beyond that.

When looking for an engine, your odds of finding a decent one are better if it was recently pulled to install an engine mod (M20, M42, ECT) but risk is still there.

Too bad you're half a continent away, I would give you a short block that turns freely and looks ok.

Good luck.

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

• 1 month later...

I have two 2.0l M10s in Indianapolis.   1) is from a 76, from a running car that was wrecked. I bought the shell and scavenged the engine and some other parts.  I tried to get it running and was only successful on 3 cyl.  I didn't try very hard, it had been sitting for a couple years.  It should be considered a rebuildable core or used for parts.   2) is a 75, also removed from a running car for a restomod, I bought it and it, installed in a project car and it smoked really badly.  I suspect rings are stuck.   It ran great, just very smoky and oil fouling plugs 3&4.   I pulled off the head and looked around, other than the sooty oily piston tops, nothing seemed odd.   Priced to go, let me know if you have interest in one or both. 

--> 1968 2002 <--

• 2 months later...
On 11/19/2023 at 12:46 PM, tech71 said:

I cant point you to an engine but I would like to caution you..

Finding a driver quality used engine is not easy, anyone can tout an engine as a decent runner but few really are.

Dont take anyones word for it, unless you can see/hear it run and view a compression test and oil pressure.

Any engine laying in someones garage, barn, shed and promoted as "ran when pulled" is suspect.

Bought 3 used M10 "good running" engines in my time, all were crap.

IMO, anyone claiming a used engine is "good condition" should be able to prove it.

Otherwise they are just blowing smoke.

Whats wrong with the old engine?

And the leak down  test of power plant a leak down .