• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vacuum leak through valve cover possible?

Pablo M
Go to solution Solved by Son of Marty,

So many of you know my trials and tribulations in getting my 1972 2002tii running. I seem nearly there but still fighting suspected vacuum leaks as my idle still surges and is too high (~2000rpm ish). While researching DIY smoke testers one discovered they had a vacuum leak at the oil filler (newer BMW). 

Got me thinking, because when I put my valve cover back on I did take note it was warped compare to the head. It did not sit flat, with possibly 3-5mm of wobble  between corners. I just figured the nuts would solve that and they went on in proper sequence, torqued down. 

Could this be a be a contributing factor? I guess now more than ever I need to sort out a smoke tester…

2003 e39 M5 (daily)

1986 e30 325es (sons car)

1972 2002tii (fun daily alternative)

....The only way this might happen would be if the crankcase breather connection on the cam cover was connected to the plenum instead of the air cleaner.... Seems unlikely.

• Like 1

'59 Morris Minor, '67 Triumph TR4A, '68 Silver Shadow, '72 2002tii, '73 Jaguar E-Type,

'73 2002tii w/Alpina mods , '74 2002turbo, '85 Alfa Spider, '03 Lotus Elise