• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My new Suspension adventure

uai

I've felt the urge to add a little seriousness to my suspension.
Currently I am running a pair of historic Sachs Coilover Uprights with 2° negative camber and Bilstein Rosejointed Upsidedown dampers rear.
This together with a set of Alpina Progressive Springs Rosejointed Radius arms, Rosejointed pull struts and and toe / camber adjustable Rear axle mounted 5 mm higher in the car. Accompanied by a set of adjustable Swaybars with rosejointed droplinks.
My next engine with 200+hp is in the planning phase as well as the new ZF 5/18-3 gearbox - this is reason enough for more Brake in the front and a plus on the suspension side.

As there is no compromise when it comes to suspension - you can have track or street but not seriously track and comfortable street I invested some thoughts how to come close to that.
The currently offered KW Setups by raab are rather soft sprung with 40 N/mm front and they are in the middle of the adjustment range of compression and rebound.
So this wasn't really a way for me to go.
In addition to this I wanted to go a bit larger on front brakes as I am running 14" wheels anyway.
My idea was to use later Neue Klasse uprights which allow for 272mm ventilated Brakes from the e3/e9 series and have them fitted with a custom damper that has a range of adjustment that starts it's range of adjustment at the street setting with street springs and allows a set of stiffer springs for track use. I have no problem switching springs and cornerweighing and checking the geometry a couple of times a year before trackdays.
I spoke to a Suspension Engineer (working @ BMW M GmbH) who is also KWCompetition partner with his privately run side business and we figured out that it is possible to create a set of KW V3 Racing Uprights and Dampers that would allow running a set of springs for Street / Rallye and a set of springs for Track usage. 
I then checked with the TÜV engineer as getting this stuff legal is also an issue in germany.
Calculations @KW were done and here we go:
Chemically Stripped Neue Klasse uprights as the basis for my new Suspension. Two of these will be shipped to KW after Christmas
IMG_1454.thumb.jpeg.ff5107c9627256b77d85742bc053e85d.jpeg

TBC

Edited by uai
  • Like 8

yeah, the 2002 struts are just too small...

if you're planning on running radials, make sure you can get more than -4 up front-

I found that going as high as -6 was faster on tracks where braking wasn't super critical.

Depending on lots of other things, of course.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

12 hours ago, M3This said:

This. My KWs were built with spring rates that I provided. However with that said they don't have any caster adjustment which the new Son Of Cobra / Ground Control / MCS coilovers do:

The Ground controls look serious too - I am not sure if I wanted Coilovers in the rear - having coilovers in the front is already difficult in germany with regards to having historic plates.

• Like 2