• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What color is your roundie taillight center?

Rosso Pintura

Early '70 1600.  VIN 1570472, amber dots.  Manufacutre date mid-late November 1969.

1970 Granada 1600 "The 16",  2000 528i Siena Red "The 5",  1968 Mustang 289 Muscle Car Blue, 

1999 318ti M Package Green,  1982 633CSi 5 speed Blue,  2011 550i M Package Black (6 speed manual)

So to go by DOT regulations-

1968 domestic cars had to have side markers, size not specified.

1969 imports had to have side markers, size not specified.  

1969 domestic cars had to have 3 square inches (roughly) of illuminated OR reflective side marker AND rear reflectors.

1970 imports had to have larger illuminated/reflective markers and rear reflectors.

From what I've seen, US cars titled 1969 and before may have had red center taillights,

but by 1970 they were amber.  

The 'smooth' front markers were gone by 1969.

Of course, all of this is easy to change with 2 threaded fasteners.

just what I've noticed,

t

• Like 2

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Also came with all of those reflectors and side markers, as well as the larger front turn signals.

1970 Granada 1600 "The 16",  2000 528i Siena Red "The 5",  1968 Mustang 289 Muscle Car Blue, 

1999 318ti M Package Green,  1982 633CSi 5 speed Blue,  2011 550i M Package Black (6 speed manual)

I remember a short lived push here in the US to become more globally minded, with US manufacturers moving to amber turn signals. 70's I think. Most moved back to red, kind of like the Lets all be metric! attempt. Now, I think it's a mix of red and amber on the highway, along with the usual ridiculously bright blue-white left on for the eventual turn people who love their Autozone "upgrades".

35 minutes ago, Furry Camel said:

My 1/69 1600 with the original reds replaced with Uro parts red lenses. No joke, these replacement lenses are easily as well made as OEM. Identical.

DSCF0094.jpeg

+1 on the URO lenses. I have both red and amber sets.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

1 hour ago, TobyB said:

So to go by DOT regulations-

1968 domestic cars had to have side markers, size not specified.

1969 imports had to have side markers, size not specified.  

1969 domestic cars had to have 3 square inches (roughly) of illuminated OR reflective side marker AND rear reflectors.

1970 imports had to have larger illuminated/reflective markers and rear reflectors.

From what I've seen, US cars titled 1969 and before may have had red center taillights,

but by 1970 they were amber.  

The 'smooth' front markers were gone by 1969.

Of course, all of this is easy to change with 2 threaded fasteners.

just what I've noticed,

t

My 69 has the smooth front TS.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

3 hours ago, jimk said:

8-71 build, red center.

Thanks, Jim.

An original owner example is compelling evidence! That does throw a monkey wrench into our original perceived changeover date. Looks like it may have been later than many of us imagined.

Of course, taillights were often damaged and replaced. And a few owners, such as I, replaced red-center taillights and flush front turn signals with later units to make their ‘02’s appear more modern. Thus, I wouldn’t be shocked to discover that our examples of earlier amber-centered taillights reflect replacements.

Any other original owner cars from 1970 through 1972? 

Best regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

2 hours ago, jplips said:

VIN 1670291, Dec 69 with red center lights

IMG_3705.jpeg

Per chance, JP, do your taillights have date stamps? On the examples from my sadly-departed ‘70, ink-stamped dates appeared on the rear of the reflectors (below).

But… there is no need to check this on Christmas afternoon! I suspect that the answer to yet another ‘02 mystery will be… hazy!

Thanks and best regards,

Steve

IMG_5005.jpeg

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

5 hours ago, James Laray said:

Some learned bimmer sage told me along the way that BMW phased out the red dots, and in 1970 (ish) some cars had the orange dots and some had the red dots.   My first 2002 (hooptie) which was a late 69 build, but registered as a 70 by Hoffman had the red dots.  I've seen other 70 models with orange dots.  

James, I think you've got the gist of it.  BMW tended to use up what they had if changes were being made:  example--a Nevada 72 US spec tii with chrome seat recliners.  While I don't recall ever seeing a'70 with red center lenses,  that doesn't mean they don't exist, and may well explain why some '70s have red lenses while others have amber.  However...

I took delivery on Wolfgang, my '69 in May of that year.  Unbeknownst to me, it was delivered with a mis-adjusted brake light switch that was stuck in the on position, and as a result the bulb's heat melted the inner refractive plastic insert in the brake light section of both tail lights.  I didn't discover this until September; I went to my local dealer and showed 'em the melted lenses.  After some hassling, they ordered new tail lights for me, under warranty.  When they arrived in early October, they had amber turn signal lenses.  When I asked, I was told that the red center lenses had been discontinued, and only amber center ones ("like are on the new [1970] 2002s") are available.  AFAIK BMW never made the red center lenses available again.  It wasn't until 1996 or so that Carl Nelson kindly supplied me with a pair of red center lenses during Wolfgang's refurbishment so my early '69 is back to original.  

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

4 hours ago, Mike Self said:

When I asked, I was told that the red center lenses had been discontinued, and only amber center ones 

A lot of the USA specific parts were never put into the replacement parts dept. they just issued what ever the standard part was,

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944