• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

recommended oil

Hano
Go to solution Solved by Mike Self,

Fred:

It depends on your location, climate and intended use (street, track, towing, etc.).  The 1600 like to Rev a little higher, so that might make a difference.  My original owners manual for my 1600 calls for 30W for temps above 32F and 10-30W for temperatures below 32F.

Search is your friend! 

Mark92131

• Like 1

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

For years and years,  I used Kendall GT-1 30w.  Always very pleased with it, but no longer available.  Have been using Valvoline VR-1 20w-50 and straight 30w when I can find it. 

1970 Granada 1600 "The 16",  2000 528i Siena Red "The 5",  1968 Mustang 289 Muscle Car Blue, 

1999 318ti M Package Green,  1982 633CSi 5 speed Blue,  2011 550i M Package Black (6 speed manual)

Be sure what ever oil you use has a high zinc content to protect your cam shaft, not many of the oils that are formulated for new cars will have enough zinc for a m10 to use.

• Like 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

35 minutes ago, Son of Marty said:

Be sure what ever oil you use has a high zinc content to protect your cam shaft, not many of the oils that are formulated for new cars will have enough zinc for a m10 to use.

Castrol now offers the GTX 20w-50 in a “classic” formulation with ZDDP.

• Like 4

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

• Solution

Since I don't drive my cars when it's really cold (below 20 degrees F) I've been using 20w-50 for many years--conventional oil before the 73's overhaul, and 20W-50 Redline since.  Seems to work just fine--but I did notice that the synthetic oil shows a few lbs less oil pressure than conventional oil.  Just enough to notice, not to worry about.

mike

PS  still use conventional 20w-50 in the '69 as it's never been rebuilt and I don't want to change either brands or types at this stage in its life.

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Either works, they are built for flat tappet cam/follower designs.  Super high oil pressure is not an indication that oil is flowing through bearings, it's all backed up in the galleys.

Z-ROD® 10W-40 Synthetic Motor Oil Quart-ZRDQT.jpg

Z-ROD® 20W-50 Synthetic Motor Oil Quart-ZRFQT.jpg

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

What's the recommendation for a cylinder hone and new rings?

Rod and crank bearings are in good condition.

Head was rebuilt 5k miles ago and working well with Valvoline VR-1 20w-50.

Thanks,

John

John, if your using a machinist use the oil they recommend, otherwise use a break in specific  oil. But before you settle on a ring job be sure to have your pistons checked out especially the ring lands this is a known m10 weak point. 

Edited by Son of Marty
  • Thanks 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

15 hours ago, Son of Marty said:

before you settle on a ring job be sure to have your pistons checked out

Original pistons are within factory spec.  They look new!  I was actually hoping they would need replacing ... with higher CR.

The original rings were very worn and clogged with carbon, but the cylinder walls were perfect and only needed a light hone to deglaze.

• Like 3

Survivors high milage engine needs a quart+ top up every few weeks so this stuff is great for that.

At $3.29 a quart, its the cheapest I have located near me.

Made by Valvoline.

Once the overhauled engine goes in I may go with the high zinc Castrol 20-50 but honestly... Been driving 02s for many years using regular oil and camshafts have not been an issue, ever.

I think frequent, regular oil changes with proper SAE rated oil are way more important than what brand you use.

87B0374D-8740-4BE4-A293-B7F63AA2E746_4_5005_c.jpeg

Edited by tech71
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris