• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine Hoists

Go to solution Solved by tech71,

Gang,

I need a foldable and movable engine hoist to help me remove and install an M10.

1.  Do you have any recommendations for brands and lifting capacities to consider or not to consider?

2.  How can you tell if a used hoist is dependable or a POS? 

Thanks.

Larry

Edited by 2002#3

Larry I'd look for one that bolts together as opposed to the ones that use clevis pins the pins allow some play and this can be annoying when you are trying to move a heavy load.

As for capacity a one ton is plenty for a m10 on paper but you need to look at the load rating with the boom all the way out to see what it'll really do. I have a 2 ton one from Napa that's been out of production for years but it's a beast. With a hoist you'll find many things to lift other than engines.

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

We've been using a Harbor Freight 1 ton lift for years to remove and install both the M10 and M30 engines.  The legs use clevis pins so that it is easily dismantled but I haven't experienced the play that @Son of Marty mentions.  It takes up very little shop space when taken apart.  I'll bet you could find one on Craigslist but make sure the hydraulics work before getting a used one.  A load leveler definitely makes the process easier.

WWW.HARBORFREIGHT.COM

20230405_151838.jpg

• Like 2

BMWCCA  Member #14493

www.2002sonly.com

1086238739_Logoforsignature.png.eb1354ab9afa7c378cd15f33e4c7fbbe.png

Been using the HF 1 ton. Found the boom to be too short when extended to its last hole. Replaced the boom with a section of square tubing 2 feet longer. Just have to be careful not to reach the tipping point. I strapped a 100 lb weight to the back, worked a charm. And a load leveler certainly helps!

Hacker of many things... master of none.

Gunther March 19, 1974. Hoffman Motors march 22 1974 NYC

56 minutes ago, 2002#3 said:

I need a foldable and movable engine hoist to help me remove and install an M10.

A one shot deal?  Rent one. Saves you the hassle of finding space to store it or selling after use.

• Like 3

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

27 minutes ago, OldRoller said:

I strapped a 100 lb weight to the back,

Yup, I have a 140# of lead (leftover from a sailboat ballasting) on the back of mine needed to lift a full dress Ford 460 out of a Lincoln.

• Like 2

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

2 hours ago, halboyles said:

We've been using a Harbor Freight 1 ton lift for years to remove and install both the M10 and M30 engines.  The legs use clevis pins so that it is easily dismantled but I haven't experienced the play that @Son of Marty mentions.  It takes up very little shop space when taken apart.  I'll bet you could find one on Craigslist but make sure the hydraulics work before getting a used one.  A load leveler definitely makes the process easier.

WWW.HARBORFREIGHT.COM

20230405_151838.jpg

+1 on the load leveler!

‘74 Fjord 2002tii (Zouave)

’80 Alpenweiss 528i (Evelyn)

’05 R53 Chili Red Mini S

‘56 Savage Model 99 in .250-3000

I would rent a hoist and buy an engine stand.   If you look on FB marketplace or CL, you can find dozens of them for sale from people like you who got one for a project car and are getting rid of it. 

There is a 2 ton one I just found for free. 

Regards

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

I have a 2 ton Alltrade, and love it and abuse it and wouldn't ever give it up. 

It moves the lathe, milling machine,

cars, engines, and pianos.  

But I'm nuts.

I WOULD recommend the 2 ton, because as OR says, the 1 ton version comes up a bit... short.  As in, not quite tall enough.

If you're into the diy side of this, lengthening is fine, but if you want it to be a bit overkill out of the box, the 2 ton's a ton more...

comfortable...

t

• Like 2

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

As Toby said you'll quickly find many things to lift with you hoist, I use my 2 ton to lift my mother in law(I'm not say'n she's fat but if you cut her and gravy comes out), sure it creeks and bends but it does the job.

• Haha 5

George S Patton 

22 hours ago, halboyles said:

WWW.HARBORFREIGHT.COM

I have exactly this one + load leveler. My engine has been hanging steady for like 4 months now. I am refreshing it there rather than buying an engine stand. It's affordable and fits my needs.

It extends high enough to lift the engine up and out of the car. I will reinstall however from the bottom.

Jason

EDIT: I just checked and actually have the 1 Ton with Load Leveler. I stand behind what I said, it is holding strong and lifted the long block out (no trans) and over. In hindsight the 2 ton would have made it all easier. Definitely less nerve wracking when the engine is dangling over the body..

Edited by JsnPpp
  • Like 1

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   + --> Need an Alpina A4 tuning guide? PM me!

Ive got a 2 ton HF hoist as well. I use it to lift much bigger engines than an M10 with no problem. I actually drop my M10 out the bottom usually.

On used hoists if the bottom of the jack cylinder is oily (leaks) or the ram is rusty (gonna leak soon probably) I would walk. Otherwise hard to beat one of them.

• Like 1

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

10 hours ago, roadhog0 said:

Ive got a 2 ton HF hoist as well. I use it to lift much bigger engines than an M10 with no problem. I actually drop my M10 out the bottom usually.

On used hoists if the bottom of the jack cylinder is oily (leaks) or the ram is rusty (gonna leak soon probably) I would walk. Otherwise hard to beat one of them.

A new 2 ton engine hoist is north of $300, if you find a decent used one but with leaky ram, then an 8 ton replacement cyl/ram for the HF Pittsburg hoist is $50 via Amazon. Used, within reason (price) would be the way to go.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17