• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M10 Engine CAD Model

I was playing around with a new 3D scanner and an old engine block I had sitting here. The block was dirty and there are a couple spots with some "phantom surfaces" (in the opening for the starter, for example). It still needs some cleaning up to make the bores and surfaces correct. But... All the bolt holes should be in the right place if any of yall want a scan to build some attachments/brackets in CAD. 

Scanned it with an Einstar 3D scanner, for anyone that was wondering.

Enjoy!

M10BlockComplete.JPG

M10BlockComplete.mtl M10BlockComplete.obj M10BlockComplete.stl M10BlockComplete_Project1.asc M10BlockComplete.SLDPRT

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

Hey, thanks!  I was just farting around in MeshLab last night...

one piece at a time, eh?

t

• Like 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

What has your experience been with bringing the scan data into Solidworks? I am using the same scanner and after a week or two of trial and error, sulked back to Fusion 360 with my tail between my legs. Any alternatives to AutoDesk products are welcome, with a priority on locally stored data rather than cloud.

-Tom

1974 green 2002 tii

1995 525i -ish

On 1/15/2024 at 9:54 AM, Santawillis said:

This looks great! would you be able to scan the head as well as the valve cover to make 3d models? I believe the one on Thingyverse was taken down and this is already an STL file so it would work great! 

Rafael

I only had the block laying around.

3 hours ago, Hofmeister Kink said:

What has your experience been with bringing the scan data into Solidworks? I am using the same scanner and after a week or two of trial and error, sulked back to Fusion 360 with my tail between my legs. Any alternatives to AutoDesk products are welcome, with a priority on locally stored data rather than cloud.

once you finish exporting the .stl file from the scanner software, it is pretty easy to work with... only finicky thing was that SW prefers that the scan be a closed body. You do that in the scanner software by processing the scan as a "watertight" model. 

When you open the STL in SW you have to go into the options and select "import as solid body"

From there its business as usual.

1 minute ago, Matt Andrews said:

once you finish exporting the .stl file from the scanner software, it is pretty easy to work with... only finicky thing was that SW prefers that the scan be a closed body. You do that in the scanner software by processing the scan as a "watertight" model. 

When you open the STL in SW you have to go into the options and select "import as solid body"

From there its business as usual.

Ah, that would do it. I have been working on projects with it where there is no way for me to make it watertight. The other engineers at the office agreed that solidworks struggles with open mesh and surface data like this. But good to know that it will work for more complete scans!

-Tom

1974 green 2002 tii

1995 525i -ish

Ooooh! I'm going to be watching this. This is awesome! I've got a couple brackets I want to look at making (LS coil holder, etc) for doing megasquirt stuff. Thank you for sharing! If you're around Seattle I'll happily loan you a head to scan. Wish I had a whole engine assembled....

• Like 2

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

I've got one on a stand, but no scanner.  And probably not the patience to operate one...

but dang, a tight mesh of an entire head, inside and out, would be a LOT of fun, wouldn't it?

t

can I do it with a $30 lidar module off ePay?

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

2 hours ago, Dudeland said:

I would love to get a scan of the engine bay and/or the subframe.  

That would be hard to fit thru the door into my office, haha! so scan something that large it would be best to have a wireless scanner that stores its own scans and then uploads them to your computer, but then your talking $20k-$40k. Mine has to be connected to a computer since it is just the scanning tool; the PC is doing all the heavy lifting during the scan. Smaller things like the block and the head are pretty easy/quick because I can drag them in the house and plug the scanner into my racing-sim computer. It has enough memory and graphics power to take whatever I throw at it. For things I cant get in here, i can run the scanner on my Surface, but it struggles and the scans are sloooooooooowwwwwww!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Matt Andrews said:

That would be hard to fit thru the door into my office, haha! so scan something that large it would be best to have a wireless scanner that stores its own scans and then uploads them to your computer, but then your talking $20k-$40k. Mine has to be connected to a computer since it is just the scanning tool; the PC is doing all the heavy lifting during the scan. Smaller things like the block and the head are pretty easy/quick because I can drag them in the house and plug the scanner into my racing-sim computer. It has enough memory and graphics power to take whatever I throw at it. For things I cant get in here, i can run the scanner on my Surface, but it struggles and the scans are sloooooooooowwwwwww!

I wonder if there are people that could scan one for me. 

• Like 1

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002