• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Roundie roundel?

Go to solution Solved by Mark92131,

What's the diameter of the roundel?  The rear roundel on a roundie is 2 3/4" in diameter, smaller than the hood roundel, which is 3/3/4" in diameter.  The mounting studs in your picture appear to be threaded and quite long; the original ones on an '02 are unthreaded aluminum and less than a half inch long.  Of course you can cut your longer studs off and hold the roundels in place with nuts, lock and flat washers. 

Stylewise it looks like the OEM ones--with raised metal letters and divisions, not the smooth plastic-coated ones used on newer Bommers.

mike 

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

7 hours ago, dsgearbox said:

It is around 60mm in diameter, isn’t that the proper size for an early e10?

The early rear panel roundel is 70mm in diameter.  60mm version might be different model BMW, E9 or 700?  Here's the original rear panel roundel from my 1970 BMW 1600.

Mark92131

IMG_4063.JPG

IMG_4064.JPG

• Like 2

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

11 hours ago, NMDerek said:

o 70 mm rear and 95 mm front? All I ever see online is mm, tia 

Yep...didn't have a metric tape measure handy...

And, FYI, the very early 1600s had their rear panel roundels mounted above the horizontal trim strip that connect the two tail light housings.  It's smaller than 70mm (probably more like 60mm) and has a curved back to conform with that curved upper section of the roundie rear body panel.  If yours has a curved back side, then that's what it probably is.

mike

Edited by Mike Self

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

12 hours ago, Mike Self said:

raised metal letters and divisions, not the smooth plastic-coated ones used on newer Bommers.

Mike, I’m pretty sure the smooth roundels went away on OE a while back, and are only now found on cheap replacements. My ‘16 435i roundels have the proper raised chrome lettering & circles/dividers, even on the engine cover…

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

• Solution
1 hour ago, dsgearbox said:

It might be from a motor bike from the 60s/70s as well i guess.

Or maybe E9 "C" Pillar roundels.  The originals were threaded, the replacements have the long pins.

Mark92131

1F4549E4-B964-4159-9901-346FBD0B8E9B.jpeg

• Like 1

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

1 hour ago, Mark92131 said:

Or maybe E9 "C" Pillar roundels.  The originals were threaded, the replacements have the long pins.

Mark92131

1F4549E4-B964-4159-9901-346FBD0B8E9B.jpeg

Here we go, maybe the hex nut is supposed to tap the thread!

Thanks a lot Mark!

21 hours ago, Mike Self said:

The rear roundel on a roundie is 2 3/4" in diameter, smaller than the hood roundel, which is 3/3/4" in diameter.

2.75" =  70mm which is correct for the rear
3.75" =  95mm which sounds weird to me, typo?
3.25" =  82mm which is what I think is correct for the front

Edited by lunarkingdom
  • Like 1