• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Painting over powdercoat?

On 2/4/2024 at 9:41 PM, NMDerek said:

I can get the hood , trunk lid and a bunch of small parts sandblasted and powdercoated in a grey ( with zinc in it) for $250.

Has anyone painted over a powdercoat? would a body shop do it?

@NMDerek,

I don’t paint professionally (translation: I only paint my own cars/bikes), but I know the subject pretty well. 

Don't bother with having your trunk lid and hood powder coated. The first concern I have for you is that most powder coating services dry media blast parts to remove the old paint/rust/crap. If the place you take the parts isn’t gentle and choosy with the blast media,  you’ll end up with some warpage or worse. Second, you’ll almost certainly have to do some sanding of the powder coat before priming/paining to insure your paint/primer doesn’t fail. This isn’t a big deal for the flat top surfaces of the trunk and hood, but getting to all the nooks and crannies of the underside of both of those panels will be a tough. If you’re DIY’ing this it’ll be a double bitch and If you’re having a pro do it, they’ll most likely tell you the powder is a no go. 

You’re way better off for just two panels with a standard primer/paint of your choice IMHO. 

concerning the small parts, what parts?

Edited by Tdh
  • Like 1