• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Koito H4 kits CHEAP!!!!!

Question for all you brighter headlight happy campers: my ‘02 is a 1975. I do NOT need to use the wiring harness at all and it won’t hurt my headlight switch, correct?

Does using the new harness really make the lights brighter? Enough to be worth it?

You don’t need the harness for a 75. It might make your lights a little brighter but the wiring in the car now is good enough. If you had a 73 or earlier I’d say use it. 

• Like 1

Mike Katsoris CCA#13294                                                

74 InkaGangster 4281862

2016 Porsche Boxster Spyder,    2004 BMW R1150RT,  
76 Estorilblau 2740318                      

32 minutes ago, Oakland Jeff said:

Does using the new harness really make the lights brighter? Enough to be worth it?

I did not notice enough of a difference for it to be worth adding the extra wiring.  I put very little effort into trying to see a difference between them when I did the test, so I don't really know how big of a difference the wiring would make.  It's already a big enough improvement to make me happy and keeping things simple makes me happy too.  So that's what I'm going to do.

I did cleanup the terminal ends when I swapped them.  I'm wondering about cleaning the contacts in my old relays now, to see if that helps more juice get through.

Don’t try to open up relays to clean them. Just buy three new ones. They’re cheap enough. That’s a good preventative maintenance thing. Especially in 50 year old cars 

Mike Katsoris CCA#13294                                                

74 InkaGangster 4281862

2016 Porsche Boxster Spyder,    2004 BMW R1150RT,  
76 Estorilblau 2740318                      

I took a look at the old Hella H4s that I removed and replaced with the Koitos.  I was surprised that they have the little city lights in them.  They are in pretty good shape for having been on my car for almost 38 years.  I confirmed that the H4 bulbs in the Hellas are the same 60/55W as the Koito bulbs.  

Hella1.jpg

Hella2.jpg

Hella3.jpg

Hella4.jpg

Edited by JohnS
  • Like 1

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

8 hours ago, mike472 said:

Don’t try to open up relays to clean them. Just buy three new ones. They’re cheap enough. That’s a good preventative maintenance thing. Especially in 50 year old cars 

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I don't subscribe to the throw-away mentality.

Opening them is not difficult.  I took the covers off of these to compare the guts and weighed them just for kicks.

022.JPG

My '76 came with the plastic capped relays like the one on the left, but I replaced them with the metal style sitting next to it.  The yellow one next to that came from an e21 and the one on the far right is the five prong style. 

It took some scrounging at the junkyard to find a five prong relay that was made in GERMANY to replace the Spanish one, but now I have a matched set. :) 

057.thumb.JPG.538968c5944b3b6634cb59e087fcd3ec.JPG

I even gave them a little black-wash to bring out the lettering.  :) 

041.thumb.JPG.5a9d7a9f2320c428a43de5f2139a6a84.JPG

I've got plenty of spares if one of them craps out.  

Tom 

• Like 6

Check eBay. Might not be as cheap but it’s still a deal under $100. I bought that first set on eBay before looking around and I think I paid like $50. 

Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well!

One of my extra Koito sets is spoken for (thx yeewiz).  I'll be at the "Neue Klasse and Kaffee" in Los Gatos tomorrow morning.

$27 Last one...SOLD. lasted about 60 seconds yesterday. 🙂 Was cool to hang out with the local '02 crew again.  Their cars are so nice that it's very inspiring.  Was stoked to be able to see the ex Bob Murphy Alpina A4 car in person.  Stupid that I didn't take any pictures.  Next time...

LastSet.jpg

Edited by JohnS
  • Like 3

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

• 1 month later...

Waiting on some parts for fuel and electrical systems, so decided to take apart my headlight housing to refresh them and finally install the Koitos that I scored thanks to this thread. I didn’t see anyone bring this up, but are the three mounting locator tabs on the supposed to line up with the original notches in housings? I tried to orient and spin them in every possible combination, but nothing seemed to work. Are you meant to cut additional notches in the housings to accommodate the pattern on the Koitos, possibly cut off the tabs on the Koitos, or am I just missing something obvious?

IMG_2144.thumb.jpeg.86f6d76f9b9104986035dece526fa5af.jpegIMG_2145.thumb.jpeg.cf5994756a7842f2b841f317fa07e2d8.jpeg

1971 Fjord Blue BMW 2002

1984 Black Mercedes Benz 300TD