• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Koito H4 kits CHEAP!!!!!

I have taken out my Hella's I bought with city lights in one car and Marchall ampilux's in my other car and I would have rather have the Koito's then either of those lights, city lights not withstanding.  If you don't have US turn signals and want front running lights, buy a set of replica Italian turn signals from Maximillian for $329 and you've got your marker lights back.  Not sure if they still have them in stock.  Cool looking and these have marker lights built in like the US versions.

One other thing about this kit that I have to mention.  Unless you have installed additional relays for your lighting system it pays to use the harness they give you with the kit and take all the load off your key switch, headlight switch and dip switch for the high beams.  You will have solved a big problem that affects 02's of every year.  Not just 6 fuse models but all of them.  Put LED bulbs in every spot you can and all of a sudden your electrical system has very little amperage running through it.  Good for everything electrical in your car.  The horn and windshield wipers will probably be the biggest current draw left.  Your fuse box will also breath a sigh of relief.  I know some people on this thread like the fact that you can just plug these in and be done with it but using the Toyota harness solves a myriad of problems.  I mounted everything in the front nose of the car where the wiring is not visible and fuses are still accessible.  Headlights will also be brighter going this route.

• Like 1

Mike Katsoris CCA#13294                                                

74 InkaGangster 4281862

2016 Porsche Boxster Spyder,    2004 BMW R1150RT,  
76 Estorilblau 2740318                      

These are so inexpensive, I ordered two sets.  I already have H4s in my 73 02.  But I'm sure I can use them in something old that needs an upgrade.  Thanks @RoccoGilroy!

• Like 1

1973 2002 Verona Euro w/ squares from Bogota, Columbia

• 1 month later...

Finally got around to installing these over the weekend and was amazed at how simple it was. Curious to see if anyone with an early model car has come up with any “elegant” solutions (similar to the factory mount on late model cars) to mounting the 2 relays and 2 fuses. In his original post it appears that RoccoGilroy just mounted the relays to the chassis with screws and stuffed the fuses in the headlight area cavity.

Edited by mmaaaaaxx
  • Like 1

1971 Fjord Blue BMW 2002

1984 Black Mercedes Benz 300TD

I did just that… at some point the engine will

come Out and I’ll paint the engone bay and tidy up the wiring. For now it works. If you come up with a better way please post pictures! 

• Like 1

Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well!

• 2 weeks later...

As an update to this thread.  I called the "Toyota Parts Overstock" location mentioned in the post above to check on price and availability of this kit. (P/N-8111060P70)  I had read that all the kits were sold out.  I was more than surprised to heat him say they had restocked and had 142 kits available for $16.91 each.  Estimated shipping to me in Nebraska was $15.00 so a total of $31.91.   

Just for kicks, I called my local Toyota Dealership and asked if they could source the same part number.  He said no problem, will be here in the morning for $24.20 plus tax, no shipping.

I will pick up the kit tomorrow afternoon and let you know what I got in the kit.  Even if I just use the wiring harness to update the old wiring and draw power directly from the battery, I'm ahead. 

Really glad I came across this post.....

Edited by Husker2002
  • Like 4

D. Jeff Gomon   -  1970 BMW 2002  -  1972 BMW 2002tii
1991 BMW ///M5  -  2005 BMW 330Ci (ZHP)

2018 BMW X5 Diesel  -  2021 BMW ///M2 Competition

Man, whatever kaizen or Toyota Way thing they have going to keep this alive is impressive. I would think they at least break even if they keep restocking, but not sure how that’s possible at 15 doll hairs for bulbs, housings, harness and relays. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, popovm said:

Man, whatever kaizen or Toyota Way thing they have going to keep this alive is impressive. I would think they at least break even if they keep restocking, but not sure how that’s possible at 15 doll hairs for bulbs, housings, harness and relays. 

I'm assuming Toyota has a warehouse somewhere that probably has headlights stacked to the ceiling.

They most likely bought them by the pallet load when they were cheap during a economic downturn. 

The thing you have to remember is it costs to store parts, so selling these cheap can save them money on storage in the long run.

Also LED headlights have become the new go to for all the Jeep and other off-road vehicles like the Land Cruisers these headlight kits are designed for.

• Like 2

So I ordered my kit yesterday from my local Toyota dealership in Lincoln, NE right after lunch yesterday.  I got a call at 0830 this morning that the kit was ready to be picked up!  Less than 24 hours from when I ordered it.  As you can see in the picture, these were pulled from the distribution center in Kansas City (3 hrs from me) and delivered to my dealership.  See photo of address label.  When I called the Toyota place mentioned earlier in this thread in Florida, the guy said they had 142 kits in stock.  I am guessing their local warehouse is NOT is Kansas City, so i'm guessing there are a lot of these out there!!

The local Toyota parts guy asked what I was installing them on because they had never seen this kit before.  He was shocked to hear me tell them a 52 year old BMW 2002tii would be their new home.  Had to show a pic because he had no clue what it was.   I told him he could open the package to see what was inside, and when he did, his jaw hit the floor.  He actually had two mechanics come take a look, had them look at the entire kit and guess what the kit cost.  One said that harness alone would not leave the parts counter for under $100, and then guessed the glass E code lenses/housings were $50-$100 each at dealer cost. So they guessed $250-$300 dealer cost.  Those mechanics thought he was joking when he said less than $25.00 for the entire kit.  

I am feeling very thankful at finding this post and in knowing a pretty well build harness and vetted system is going into the "new to me" '72 tii.  I already have a set of Hella H4's in my 1970 and they have the 80/100 H1 bulbs that are amazing.  I do not get flashed at all with them as the beam cutoff is perfect, but if I hit the 100's they are not happy.  For that system I basically built a harness with relays almost identical to the one in this kit.  I used Hella Relays, quality Raychem Aviation Splices and aircraft wire, so it was not cheap.  I may play around and see if I like these housings any better than the Hella Housings.  Currently the tii has some Cibie housings that I think are suffering from "old wiring syndrome" as they are pretty dim even with H1 bulbs in them.  I'm going to see how they react to power coming directly from the battery with the new harness from this kit and decide what to do.

Sorry for the novel, have safe travels all......

thumbnail_image0.jpg

thumbnail_image1.jpg

• Like 9

D. Jeff Gomon   -  1970 BMW 2002  -  1972 BMW 2002tii
1991 BMW ///M5  -  2005 BMW 330Ci (ZHP)

2018 BMW X5 Diesel  -  2021 BMW ///M2 Competition

I really need to walk over to the 'yota dealer and grab a set of these. I've got enough rigs with 7" headlights. Now I need 4x6 and 5x7 at the same price lol!

• Like 2

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

I bought these and it’s just a beautifully put together set, Toyota OEM quality is second to none! Now that I have them, I laid out the harness and realized I would have redundant wiring in the nose (duh)  if I use the new kit. What are folks doing with this? Removing the original headlamp wiring? I’d really like to keep the wiring as original as possible for troubleshooting etc. Is there a straightforward way to add a relay to the existing ‘02 harness and use the Koito lamps with what’s there instead?  

(found what I was looking for I think) here:

Edited by calicolorado

1972 BMW 2002 Colorado #2577807<p>

2015 BMW M5 Competition 6-speed

2003 Audi TT Coupe 225