• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Koito H4 kits CHEAP!!!!!

5 minutes ago, bob02 said:

the beam pattern is better to my eyes than Hella e codes

Mr. Stern thinks the Koitos are pretty great too… (@ $179/pr !!)

The Koitos are more efficient (more light on the road), better focused (more useful distribution of light), and better-built (sturdier glass and metal materials, more careful build quality).”

• Like 1

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

Funny you mention Mr. Stern. I was going to put a set of Tungsram bulbs in the Koitos but figured i'd try the Koito bulbs first. That fella knows his lights!

Bob

• Like 1

71 2002

85 M635

89 327is

98 M3

3 minutes ago, John76 said:

$179/10 per pair. 

Thanks again @RoccoGilroy!

Ya I kinda feel bad as I started researching Koito’s because of a few faq post I read about they’re quality written by Danial Stern lighting. I hate to hurt a business that serves our community but I felt compelled to share non the less. My sincere apologies to him and his business which I hear is top notch. 

• Like 1

Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well!

Rocco, this is one of those flukes in life that I , for one am happy you shared with us. Toyota couldn't possibly produce this kit for what they're selling for so I think of it as kind of a gift that you happened to share. What will be funny is how many 02's will be at Brisbane this year with shiny new Koito's!

Thanks again,

Bob

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

71 2002

85 M635

89 327is

98 M3

17 minutes ago, bob02 said:

Rocco, this is one of those flukes in life that I , for one am happy you shared with us. Toyota couldn't possibly produce this kit for what they're selling for so I think of it as kind of a gift that you happened to share. What will be funny is how many 02's will be at Brisbane this year with shiny new Koito's!

Thanks again,

Bob

Thank you for that Bob. Really looking forward to Brisbane! New car this year so I’ll look a little different! Come find me! 

IMG_1678.jpeg

IMG_1671.jpeg

IMG_1670.jpeg

IMG_1669.jpeg

IMG_1668.jpeg

IMG_1667.jpeg

IMG_1666.jpeg

IMG_1665.jpeg

• Like 6

55 minutes ago, bob02 said:

Thanks again,

Bob

I agree.  I wonder if these aren't made available as part of some replacement or service bulletin program quietly undertaken by Toyota, but what recent US market vehicle would this even fit?  These kits are sold well below cost...

• Like 1

1974 '02 Golf 'Gabby', few Porsches and leaky British things.

2 hours ago, wingswheelshulls said:

I agree.  I wonder if these aren't made available as part of some replacement or service bulletin program quietly undertaken by Toyota, but what recent US market vehicle would this even fit?  These kits are sold well below cost...

It’s not for recent vehicles. Toyota made the kit for its 1958 – 1987 J40 & J60 Land Cruiser customers. The H4s also fit 1984– 2007? J70 Land Cruisers.

Per the “Dear Customers” letter included in the kit they no longer produce sealed beams, and are offering the kit as improved lighting replacement (and apologizing about the product change). :)

Isn’t the kit about the cost of a sealed beam? What the customer might be expecting to pay if their headlight went out? Hmmm..

So make the customer switch, but take the loss to boost customer appreciation & loyalty sounds like the plan.

We’re likely noise in the volume they’re servicing..

IMG_2371.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

54 minutes ago, visionaut said:

It’s not for recent vehicles. Toyota made the kit for its 1958 – 1987 J40 & J60 Land Cruiser customers. The H4s also fit 1984– 2007? J70 Land Cruisers.

Per the “Dear Customers” letter included in the kit they no longer produce sealed beams, and are offering the kit as improved lighting replacement (and apologizing about the product change). :)

Isn’t the kit about the cost of a sealed beam? What the customer might be expecting to pay if their headlight went out? Hmmm..

So make the customer switch, but take the loss to boost customer appreciation & loyalty sounds like the plan.

We’re likely noise in the volume they’re servicing..

IMG_2371.jpeg

If Toyota is effectively subsidizing the cost of good eCodes to roughly equate the cost of sealed beams on their older vehicles, then they have more of my respect.  👍

Edited by wingswheelshulls

1974 '02 Golf 'Gabby', few Porsches and leaky British things.

Posted (edited)

I love my 02 and I wouldn’t hesitate to daily it, but I lave kids… So I own a 2016 Tacoma… my first Toyota product…

It…

Just…

Works… 

Not fast, not fun to drive… But every time I put the key in the ignition it starts and takes me and the family where we need to go. In relative comfort. I knew when I ordered this headlight kit that it was going to work and work for a long time. It’s hard to understand if you haven’t owned one. And it has a dip stick, spark plugs I can change myself, and oil changes are a piece of cake. 

That being said, I open the door to the garage every morning and wish I was driving the 02… 

IMG_6064.jpeg

Edited by RoccoGilroy
  • Like 5

It's tempting to wire the new harness as described above, with +/- connected to the battery and tapping into the driver's side bulb plug; but leave the passenger's side connected to the original harness to compare brightness side to side.  

Does that seem like a valid test/comparison?

Hopefully the old wiring makes them just as bright as the new, so I don't need to clutter things up; but if they're noticeably brighter with the new harness, it might be worth tucking it in someplace inconspicuous.

Tom

• Like 1

Big time thanks @RoccoGilroy  I too have acquired a set for ~$18 at my local dealer.  

And since we’re now gushing about Toyota, I’ll have to share my first and favorite Toyota product…which is kinda 2002 related because I used it to tow my 2002 home when I bought it.  V8 4th gen 4Runner. One of the best vehicles of all time that I’ve had.  

regarding these headlights, I thought I read somewhere that they were a serious markdown due to an overstock situation?

IMG_3976.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Ya that’s the word on the street! Overstocked for some reason. Not to worry Toyota, we’ll take care of that overstock issue for you. 😜 

A friend of mine has the same model 4Runner. He has coolant in the oil at 250k+ and the shop told him it needed a head gasket etc… he’s been driving it daily for 2 years since… 🤷‍♂️ Gotta love it…

Edited by RoccoGilroy
  • Like 2

Last night I connected the new harness to the battery and the driver side bulb, leaving the passenger side on the original harness. 
IMG_1434.thumb.jpeg.877608d8173b1b5ab16f081c0fa89157.jpeg

IMG_1435.thumb.jpeg.74d94632bb11a163a935943ff998db00.jpeg

The new wiring appears to make a difference, so I may wind up using it after all. If I do, I will shorten the wiring to fit, since they’re way longer than they need to be. 

Tom

• Like 5