• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

new gas tank/filler neck install woes....

rjd2

So the car I'm currently building(roundie) had been stripped down to shell mode before paint. The gas cap mounting plate came up missing, and it didnt come with a tank. So I ordered a new tank, cap mounting plate, and one of each of the rubber filler neck pieces (late style and early style). the shorter rubber neck doesnt mount to the trunk wall at all, and the longer one does, but still leaves a 3-4" gap. It seems my only option here is to fashion a metal tube, and then another fuel safe rubber sleeve for it to mount to the tank. It's a newer tank with mount that protrudes maybe 2-3"? is there a more elegant solution? I saw the "in tank" filler necks; is that my best option?

Sounds like you're stuck with a short neck tank trying to be installed in a later roundie with a short neck rubber filler--the kind that is bolted to the quarter panel rather than clamped. 

Since it would be kinda major surgery to go to the early style filler on the quarter panel from what you currently have, your best bet is to find the correct gas tank for your car (long neck). 

I'm sure you can find someone on the FAQ with the proper tank (IIRC later roundies ad all squarelights use the long neck tank, and someone with an early car is gonna want your short neck tank.

The above is based on your description.  Post some pictures so we know exactly what you have to make sure we're providing the correct advice.  I know some folks have adapted the combination tank and filler you describe; perhaps they'll post what they did.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

1 minute ago, Mike Self said:

Post some pictures so we know exactly what you have to make sure we're providing the correct advice.

Something isn't right.  Pictures would help.  Here's my setup on my 1970.  MVP short-neck tank, long rubber filler.  As you can see, there is an integrated flange/cap mounting plate inside the trunk.  If yours bolts in, you will use the short-neck filler and long later tank.

Mark92131

IMG_4098.JPG

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

yea, if my tank had a long neck like the one @Stevenc22 posted, everything would play nicely. but its got a short neck. i am a stubborn SOB, so at this point i think i would opt to fashion something to get my fuel another 3".

it seems to be that if i had the correct diameter metal tube(2" or so) and correct diameter fuel safe hose, and hose clamps, couldn't I make this work? or 

1 hour ago, rjd2 said:

i am a stubborn SOB, so at this point i think i would opt to fashion something to get my fuel another 3".

Such a bodge will be immediately noticed by anyone knowledgeable about 02s, if I was looking at this car say, to buy, I would be put off by this. Would also make me leery about the car overall...

Lose the stubborn streak, its not serving you well here, sell the incorrect tank and buy a correct one.

Its possible there's something non standard going on there but impossible to ascertain if you dont give us a few pics.

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

4 hours ago, rjd2 said:

yea, if my tank had a long neck like the one @Stevenc22 posted, everything would play nicely. but its got a short neck. i am a stubborn SOB, so at this point i think i would opt to fashion something to get my fuel another 3".

it seems to be that if i had the correct diameter metal tube(2" or so) and correct diameter fuel safe hose, and hose clamps, couldn't I make this work? or 

Just resell the tank you have a buy a new tank.

• Like 1

1976 BMW 2002 Chamonix. My first love.

1972 BMW 2002tii Polaris. My new side piece.

11 hours ago, tzei said:

Interesting. Never saw filler rubber elbow w/ clamp to quater panel. Is it US thing? 

Not sure, but I think the change occurred when the "modell 71" cars came out in mid-1971.  Having seen relatively few early (66-69) non-US cars, I can't say for sure, but all our early cars--both the US only cars (68-69 with 166/167XXXX VINs) and the 66-67 1600s that were not US specific have the rubber filler clamped both to the gas cap end and the tank end.  

Anyone with a Euro car from that era is welcome to chime in here...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Yup, it was a mid- 71 change.  I thought it came with 12 fuses and the rest of those changes,

but as with everything BMW from that era, 'your mileage may vary'

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Well if I had a different mount at the trunk wall, it theoretically looks doable with the long neck filler. See pics. Does anyone know what mount would get me to completion with the tank I have? I guess I could stomach swapping the tanks, since nothing is full of fuel yet. Would prefer not if possible. 

IMG_7550.jpeg

IMG_7551.jpeg

IMG_7552.jpeg

You guys. I think I may be the dumbest motherfucker east of the Mississippi. If I take the wall mount out and flip it around, it nests in the long neck, I just need the right hose clamp. Is there like a demerit system applicable that gives users like me a digital dunce cap, and goes and sits in the corner? 😂😂😂

EDIT: I do still have a bit of a fitment issue between the top lip of the filler neck and the gas cap mount. With the neck seated on the tank, I’ve got about a 5/8” gap between the top lip and the cap mount. With a hose clamp seated on the lip lip and the mount, pushing that 5/8” gap shut causes the hose clamp to pop off the cap mount. If I could shift the tank towards the trunk wall, it would help, but there’s no play there without modifying the tank in some fashion. 

Edited by rjd2
  • Haha 1

Wouldn't that make your filler cap to be in too deep?

Do you have #16111106095 to sandwitch hose rubber elbow to cap plate you have?

Does it even work that way?

It's been way too long when i last needed to fiddle with these...

2002 -73 M2, 2002 -71 forced induction. bnr32 -91