• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should I buy or Should I run?

2 hours ago, Freude am Fahren said:

Should I be concerned about the engine swap/not matching engine? 

Only if you are pedantic. Getting a fun car at a discount is a plus; not a minus.

• Thanks 1

engine small.jpg

That's a really clean looking presentation.

the car was stripped before being repainted in Ceylon Metallic. The bumpers were re-chromed a

well, there's the current bid, right there.  Neither of those processes come cheap these days.

I see evidence that the rear fenders have been plug- welded to the inners,

and I have a little... distrust... of the rear spring perches.  It might just be the paint,

the lighting and the photography, but the trunk shots look a lot like the inner fender wells have had

some bodywork.  The shots from below don't show any evidence, though, so that's why, over the internet,

I wouldn't scream foul just yet.  

The rear tire well's been replaced.

It has period- correct and period- leaky plastic runners.

That looks great in pictures- I mean, armchair critics can huck tomatoes at anything, but if you like the color,

that could be a very nice car.  I WOULD take a magnet to the rear inner fender/spring perch area, and the rockers,

just because there's evidence and admission that this car has been rusty.  It never hurts to make sure it's not rusty now.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

So this catlr didn't meet reserve but I saw it in person, tossed a magnet all over the suspect spots and it checked out. I'm in contact with the seller and he is willing to negotiate. What does the collective think roughly the value of this car sits? I thought it would go for much higher but it didn't. The advantage is I've seen it in person and it will be a local buy for me

• Like 2

Do yourself - and your wallet - a favor: Think twice before considering any price on BAT a “good deal”. It’s a great site for the occasional blue-chip car “deal”,(F-cars, early P-cars), AND its a good place for a seller to get more than their car is worth. I truly believe that any given car sold on BAT could have 15-20% taken off its hammer price there for the equivalent car sold curbside, off FB, or any number of enthusiast forums. 

My 2-cents.

• Like 3

J.B.

6 - ‘02s and counting

The Ceylon tii ?  30k-35k maybe .  I haven't look at all the pics.  

Not original color or correct motor,  that's a lot of the value in a tii to me. 

I think the owner paid to much @ 43k plus.  

Your money,   if it makes you happy  

• Like 2

"The market" said $26K and change. Depends on what it's worth to you, but I'd start close to that number. If you love it and proximity is super important, etc. then go as high as you have budgeted. 

Jason

• Like 1

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   + --> Need an Alpina A4 tuning guide? PM me!

I am truly surprised that car didn't make it 10k higher- there really wasn't anything all that scary in the ad,

and it's about the 'best' tii version out there- at least from a collectable standpoint.

I wonder if the bodywork and engine were really that big a turn- off. 

If the paint and metalwork is done well, it just shows how shallow 'collectors' are...

In which case, at the final bid price, even stingy old me, who thinks these things are only one

step above John Morton's shitboxes, would say 'Crap, that's a really good price for that car'

If it's a color you like, and the version you want, I'd certainly say go have a chat, and see what the seller wants for it.

Local is worth a HELL of a lot, since the two of you can look at the car, and you can fall in love with it- or, not.

But it's $20k to strip and paint a car, and if the bumpers really are rechromed, that's another several thousand...

t

still would buy 5 beaters instead, but he has real problems.

Edited by TobyB
  • Like 2

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

On 8/13/2024 at 3:14 PM, jp5Touring said:

The Ceylon tii ?  30k-35k maybe .  I haven't look at all the pics.  

Not original color or correct motor,  that's a lot of the value in a tii to me. 

I think the owner paid to much @ 43k plus.  

Your money,   if it 

He says reserve on the car was 45K, he paid 47K (reserve at that auction was 55K!!!) and wants minimum 40K for itnow. I feel he's asking a bit much. 

Well, given what the auction results said, his expectations may not be in line with the current reality...

t

Capitalist for 'overpriced'