• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Clear windshield 2024

Thx John. So your side glass is the exact same as my 76er.

It’s Duro-Glas brand, licensed from Saint-Gobain Sekurit, manufactured for BMW byVereinigte Glaswerke (VEGLA) of Porz, Federal Republic of Germany (DOT28).

Their M101 mfg type code, ending in 1 indicates green tint. AS2 indicates this glass is tempered and has at least 70% light transmission but it doesn't pass all the impact tests like AS1, which is required for laminated glass windshields.

If your windshield is also original I’d like to see that bug, to see if it had the BMW logo (the rears all didn’t AFAICT), and if the mfgr was also VEGLA… 

Tom

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

I verified that the front windshield on my '74 must have been replaced prior to my ownership in 1986 and looks to be some unknown aftermarket glass with no "bug" markings on it that I can detect.  Front appears clear "to me" with the white paper test. 

It seems I needs to find me one of them there NOS Pilkington greens now :)

• Haha 1

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

I found the "bug" on my front windshield.  You have to shine a light on it just to be able to see it.  Makes it hard to take a picture of it.  What does this tell you?

It reads:

MADE IN

WEST GERMANY

I N F R A
SIGLA

FG

D 611

AS-1

DOT 25 M 91

DGM 33790 VSP

GlassBugFront74tii.jpg

Edited by JohnS

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

Well it’s early ( W. Germany) and green.. 😁

SIGLA is another famous period glass brand, manufactured by FLACHGLAS AUTOMOTIVE GmbH in Witten. ( DOT 25). I suspect the INFRA has to do with their tinted glass branding.

AS-1 = windshield spec glass. M91 = their green tint variant.

I suspect the FG (and the earlier TF on the side glass) indicate their laminate vs tempered formulations.

The wavy lines, D and number are German auto glass certification related. The number specifies the registration for that glass. (611 for windshield and 291 for side glass.)

The last sequence might contain the manufacturer info for glass thickness and production date ( 3.3mm thick, July 1990)? Could that date be valid? I’d expect glass from that date would have E-codes in the bug. I’ve seen VSP before but can’t remember the meaning offhand..

Tom

edit — duh, I see you said it hasn’t been replaced since at least 1986…

I haven’t seen an original bmw-logo-included bug for the windshield. Your glass might be OE manufacturer - other 02s ( incl Euros) have cited  SIGLA glass…

Edited by visionaut

You are correct that the windshield is what came on the car since my purchase in 1986.  It's definitely showing it's wear.  Confirmed green that's cool..  It's faded old green vs. newer Pilkington glass green.  Thanks for all of the information about the codes and what not.  I love this stuff.  Thanks,

John

• Like 1

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

9 hours ago, 72pdx02 said:

Greetings, the clear windshield on my 67 has this marking

IMG_1383.jpeg

Cool, thanks for posting.

That’s obviously earlier than John’s windshield above, since it has no DOT identification number in the bug. Plus the West Germany notation…

Again SIGLA brand/manufacturer - very common in all German cars of this vintage. AS-1 meaning laminated windshield glass. The Mfgr code M90, ending in 0 indicates Clear ( no tint).

The zig-zag with the D are the German certification with 108 being the registered ID.

Again the lack of a BMW Roundel in the windshield bug… I wonder why front and rear glass don’t seem to have it.

Is your side glass also SIGLA? I believe different suppliers for front/rear vs side glass was pretty common later on. Mind sharing a pic of one of your side glass bugs?

Tom

12 hours ago, visionaut said:

Cool, thanks for posting.

That’s obviously earlier than John’s windshield above, since it has no DOT identification number in the bug. Plus the West Germany notation…

Again SIGLA brand/manufacturer - very common in all German cars of this vintage. AS-1 meaning laminated windshield glass. The Mfgr code M90, ending in 0 indicates Clear ( no tint).

The zig-zag with the D are the German certification with 108 being the registered ID.

Again the lack of a BMW Roundel in the windshield bug… I wonder why front and rear glass don’t seem to have it.

Is your side glass also SIGLA? I believe different suppliers for front/rear vs side glass was pretty common later on. Mind sharing a pic of one of your side glass bugs?

Tom

Here is my drivers side glass

IMG_1387.jpeg

Cool. Thanks! I haven’t had the opportunity to see real-early 02 glass bugs before.

So the side glass is from a different manufacturer —  being an early pre-DOT version of Duro-Glas, licensed from St. Gobain Sekurit.

Without the DOT #I can’t determine the location/name of the manufacturer. Perhaps that can be obtained from the German certification #85.. but I’d wager it’s VEGLA who BMW used on the later cars side glass.

AS-2 is the expected code for Tempered side glass.

No BMW Roundel in the side glass bug either. That must have come along later, perhaps with the DOT introduction.

I ended up ordering the glass from Walloth & Nesch. Came out to just under $600 to get it from Germany to Utah. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1972 2002tii- Cannibalized

1985 318i- Retired

1974 2002tii- daily driver (summer)

1999 323 e46- daily driver (winter)