• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newbie wheels and brakes question - first post!

Go to solution Solved by 2002iii,

I’ve got a Euro stock 75 2002 with repo 13” Alpina wheels. Needs new tires. She’s got warped front rotors that I’d like to upgrade to vented big brake kit from IE but also want to add some 14x6.5 wheels (hard to find). Wondering if anyone can advise? I was thinking of these 14x6.5 below with a +19. No idea if the big brakes will fit and if a +19 will need a spacer to get to +25 as suggested in the wheels forum???? Maybe a set of 14x6  MSW’s turbines will show up one day. Hoping some CN36’s will fit these in the meantime. Thanks!image.thumb.png.ca469304e2965b9cea61a3b1800a3f31.png

First, check out the very extensive wheel fitment material in the FAQ archives.  All sorts of information on offset, tire/body clearances etc--way more than you ever wanted to know! 

Check out the 14x6.5 basketweaves from an E30 is model.  They're the correct offset for a 2002, and are quite plentiful.  So are the E30 steel wheels, which are 14x6, look like period Alpina wheels and are inexpensive even new.  

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

3 minutes ago, ATL2002 said:

Thank you for the reply. Do you think a 10mm spacer on the +19 wheel I like would push the wheel out too far (to reach a +29) and hit the fender?

ET19 already likely hits the fender, of course depending on the tire choice. Adding 10 mm spacer would end up ET9 and definitely hit. You want higher ET value around 30 for 6.5" wide wheel. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

The 6.5” wheel with a +19mm offset will put your outer lip at the same place as a 7” et25 (which fits).  Should work fine with an appropriate tire width.  All these cars are different though, so it could require fender rolling.  At those offsets, my car didn’t require any rolling.  Again, tires matter a lot in these fitment questions. 

Offset is the distance from centerline to the mating face of the wheel. Adding a spacer essentially adds to the mating face, thereby reducing offset. As Tommy said, if you add a 10mm spacer, you drop the offset to 9mm. 

image.thumb.png.8456833838529220ffaf5dc15423d484.png

The Wilwood big brakes will definitely NOT fit under 14s. There’s a lot of 15s that won’t even go over them. I have 15” Alpina reps that clear fine, and 16” forged 2 piece Works that barely fit. 

15 hours ago, Mike Self said:

So are the E30 steel wheels, which are 14x6, 

mike

Are E30 steelies 14x6 or 14x5.5? Not nitpicking; just want to verify if there is more than one variety of "E30 steel wheels"

Edited by Luis

Luis

To all - this website is just awesome! Thanks for your replies. The original wheel pic I sent can be any width and they can do custom offset. I like the “feel” of skinnier tires which at 6.5” would be a 165 series. I prefer the “stance” of 185 series but would that be easy to drive around town? I’ve heard good things about the Pirelli CN36’s but more research needed. Bottom line - if you can custom make some 14’s, what width and offset would you get for street use? And could the IE (non-Wilwood) big brake kit fit the 14’s and if so, what offset and width? If 185 series - will they run? Complex one thing affects the other stuff. 

IMG_1535.jpeg

• Solution

Look here: Wheel fitment guide

The most common setup is e30 bottle caps wheels 14x6 +35 with 195/60/14 tires. With a factory steering wheel not to hard to turn, but smaller aftermarket wheels can make it a real workout.

Most 14 inch or bigger wheels will clear the ie big brake kit.

You shouldn't have any rubbing issues with 185s unless the offset is extreme. Not all 185 tires are the same width at the sidewalls, so your results may vary.

1 hour ago, ATL2002 said:

I like the “feel” of skinnier tires which at 6.5” would be a 165 series. I prefer the “stance” of 185 series

Oh nooooooo!  A 165 tire is way too narrow for a 6.5" rim; even a 185 tire would be marginal.   The tread on both tires would not sit flat on the ground, and the tread centers would wear quickly--not to mention that the car's handling would be scary.

You need to go to a tire web site (like Tire Rack) and look for a "fitment" section that shows what width tires are proper for what width wheels.

mike

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite