• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TDC

Go to solution Solved by John76,

I am struggling with TDC on my engine replacement. After botching the install with the automatic transmission I finally have the engine turning over.  I have spark on the number one plug and yes, the distributor was removed while dropping in the engine. What I don’t have is combustion which after digging through past posts means I most likely reinstalled the distributor incorrectly. I have three pictures from the old engine that I believe indicate I’m at TDC. Am I correct?  TIA

IMG_2154.jpeg

IMG_2155.jpeg

IMG_2156.jpeg

Is there a notch on the CAM flange? Are #1 rockers loose? Is rotor tip under #1 plug wire? Is that the original pulley? Is there OT on flywheel visible through hole?

Edited by Hans
More
  • Like 3

I only trust the cam shaft line (not the crank pulley) for TDC. Looks like you are at TDC. Insert the distribution and then where ever the rotor is point to put the #1 spark plug lead on the point. Once you are certain you have TDC and the distributor rotor pointing towards #1 spark plug wire,   don't be afraid to turn the distributor 15 degrees left and right if she isn't starting, to see if things get better or worse. Also remember the spark plugs wires do NOT go 1234 on the distributor, they need to follow the firing order printed on the valve cover.

1976 BMW 2002 Chamonix. My first love.

1972 BMW 2002tii Polaris. My new side piece.

If the notch on the cam shaft is directly under the oil bar and the exhaust and intake rockers on the #1 cylinder are on the backside of the cam lobe, the notch on the crank pulley lines up with the pointer on the timing chain cover, and the "TO" line is lined up with the flat side of the observation hole, then it is safe to assume you are at TDC and you can stab your distributor and determine the position of the #1 spark plug wire on the cap (where the rotor is pointing).

Mark92131

• Like 1

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

Thanks everyone. I feel good about having TDC and the distributor installed correctly. Now when I check for spark on all four plugs I got nothing. Previously I had seen it on cylinder #1. Tomorrow I will look under fuse #12 to see what I have there. Should the red wire from the Petronix going to + on the coil also have 12v while cranking or ignition switch on?

Not answering your question directly above, but if your ignition system is functioning properly (but perhaps not adjusted properly) you should see a spark when you do the spark test. Seems unlikely that you only had spark on cyl 1. Did you check the others?

Chris B.

'73 ex-Malaga

• Solution
1 hour ago, Jdddrigot said:

Should the red wire from the Petronix going to + on the coil also have 12v while cranking or ignition switch on?

Yes.

You can also power the coil and PerTronix from fuses #3 & #4 (linked)...if you have a square-light car.

Check the connectors on the distributor. These tend to fail internally due to the rocking motion of the engine.

PerTronixSketch.thumb.jpg.ebadad9ed97d2a2ee0931e12f3c2e6c2.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks John76, this was the solution.  I was also hampered by a distributor that I hadn't seated correctly and throttle linkage that became disconnected.  What confused me the most was I was running the same Petronix set up on the old engine and didn't need this additional wire.  And here's the proof in the pudding -