• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ATE Tii brake M/C wrong grommet. Need Part # Please

Go to solution Solved by Stevenc22,

Ok,  I installed my Tii M/C today and quickly realised that I need the smaller hole grommet to accommodate the plastic elbows from the reservoir.  I found the article below but the link is dead.  I think it is a part for a 911, but that is all I could find. Do I use the ones from an E12? 

Any help would be appreciated. 

Regards

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

4 minutes ago, Dudeland said:

Ok,  I installed my Tii M/C today and quickly realised that I need the smaller hole grommet to accommodate the plastic elbows from the reservoir.  I found the article below but the link is dead.  I think it is a part for a 911, but that is all I could find. Do I use the ones from an E12? 

Any help would be appreciated. 

Regards

Is it this one?

WWW.PELICANPARTS.COM

Ate Grommet Brake Master Cylinder to Reservoir $3.64. Call (310)626-8765. May Qualify For FREE SHIPPING. Parts# 34 31 1 121 911 34-31-1-121-911 34.31.1.121.911 34311121911 390088 4006633074681. 633CSi, 630CSi, 530i, 528i, 3.0S, 3.0CS, 2800CS, 2500, 2002tii, 2002, 1602.

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

With W&N its listed for the clutch, but its same part... 17mm ATE grommet:

WWW.WALLOTHNESCH.COM

Plug for clutch master cylinder fits for all models and years of manufacturing you need 1 for 1 car

'59 Morris Minor, '67 Triumph TR4A, '68 Silver Shadow, '72 2002tii, '73 Jaguar E-Type,

'73 2002tii w/Alpina mods , '74 2002turbo, '85 Alfa Spider, '03 Lotus Elise

10 hours ago, dlacey said:

With W&N its listed for the clutch, but its same part... 17mm ATE grommet:

WWW.WALLOTHNESCH.COM

Plug for clutch master cylinder fits for all models and years of manufacturing you need 1 for 1 car

No that fits the standard M/C's.  The picture below shows you the standard plug and the one that came out of the ATE one beside it.   For some reason when you buy an ATE M/C for an 02 application you don't get them.  Maybe @Ireland Engineeringshould provide them as an option when you purchase it. 

IMG_5394.thumb.jpeg.9d152d98af625ee7d4230d5c824ff33a.jpegIMG_5393.thumb.jpeg.71f422f7462f2f4f233f9fe1d7a75b1c.jpeg

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

2 hours ago, Stevenc22 said:

Looks like there are 17 x 6.5 grommets and 22x7.3 grommets.

image.thumb.png.1771bf149b262bc30024ec9887b1debd.png

I did some digging as well and found those 22mm grommets.  I have a pair on order.  If they fit I will post the various part numbers for them 19.00 CDN on  Amazon. 

Any picks that of them installed.

• Like 1

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

Well I did a very bonehead move last evening …

Working around under the hood I cracked one of my reservoir hose angle fittings. Must’ve leaned against it - though I’m surprised it cracked vs bent.. I’m just standing there by the fenderwiping my hands and I look down to notice some wetness below the reservoir. Huh… what’s that.… then I look closer -  F’N SHIT!!

It quickly drained the front circuit completely, dropping fluid level to below the clutch line, leaving just the rears immersed. Luckily I caught most of the leaking fluid in a towel I was able to quickly wrap around the master… but it was a mess below anyway.

So I’ve ordered up some new angle fittings, washers and grommets. (I mistakenly first got the 17/8, then realized I had 22/8 grommets since it’s an tii master and had to order again.) I even grabbed a meter of new supply hose just in case.

I’ve read the angle fitting might be a) difficult to remove from my existing blue-braid supply hoses, and b) difficult to insert into the grommets when the master is already in the car. (I’m considering just replacing the two angle fittings and leaving my existing grommets if they’re good.)

You folks got any tips/advice as I tackle this unexpected repair in-situ? I obviously will need to re-bleed my brakes and clutch slave afterwards.

Thx

Tom

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

I believe I have a spare fitting.

20240403_103543.jpg

Edited by jimk
  • Thanks 1

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

On 4/3/2024 at 10:26 AM, jimk said:

I believe I have a spare fitting.

Thanks for the offer, Jim!

The ones I ordered should be here possibly tomorrow.. ( I’m replacing both if that one was that brittle).

edit: sorry Jim, didn’t see your photo originally, nor that you had 2! My bad..

Edited by visionaut
duh

I remember going through the same thing on one of my cars.  The earlier production tii masters from Ate used the smaller grommet.  The later production ones switched to the larger grommet.  The good news is that with the larger grommet it's easier to punch in the new plastic elbows.  Lube with a little brake fluid and punch them in after the rubber grommet is in the master.  Those elbows do get brittle over time.  Also, the blue braided brake fluid hose can be hard to get on the elbow too.  Hose on elbow first with brake fluid lube.  Then punch into master.  The black colored brake fluid hose from BMW is easier to get on than the blue kind in my experience.  Works the same just doesn't look as cool.  I've broken new plastic elbows trying to get the blue hose onto the elbow before, black brake fluid hose (BMW) much easier.  My .02,

John

Edited by JohnS
  • Thanks 1

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

This is what I'm talking about.  From my favorite hose source BelMetric.  BMW Black vs. Continental Blue.

BlackBMWHose.jpg

BlueContinentalHose.jpg

Edited by JohnS
  • Like 1

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

2 hours ago, JohnS said:

The good news is that with the larger grommet it's easier to punch in the new plastic elbows.  Lube with a little brake fluid and punch them in after the rubber grommet is in the master.  Those elbows do get brittle over time.  Also, the blue braided brake fluid hose can be hard to get on the elbow too.  Hose on elbow first with brake fluid lube.  Then punch into master.

You da man John, nice tips, thx!

My ol’ cracked elbow is black not translucent white like the new ones, and yes, obvs brittle not flexy strong plastic anymore…

I’m at least glad this happened in the garage —- waaay betterer than barfing all the brake fluid while out on the road!

• Like 1

Another little tidbit that I recall is that the older style tii masters that used the smaller grommets had washers floating beneath each grommet.  Whereas the tii master that uses the larger grommets doesn't have the washers.  I could be wrong, but that's what I remember.  Can anyone confirm the washers or not on the large grommet version?

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

8 hours ago, JohnS said:

Whereas the tii master that uses the larger grommets doesn't have the washers.

Well I bought the washers, and I’ve got the larger/later tii 22/8 grommet master, so I’ll report back what I find.

There weren’t two sizes of washer listed…even though there were two grommet sizes.

thx

edit: the underside of the 22/8 grommet looks to have an indent that might fit the washer?

What’s the purpose for the washer here anyway? (And does the elbow need to go through the grommet and through the washer too? Hope not.)

edit2: lol. Washer is too large to fit the grommet depression — which IS sized to fit the tiny lip on the end of the elbow. So IF washer is used, it sits below the elbow..

BTW, @JohnS I can see why the elbow is a pita to insert into those small 17/8 grommet holes with less surrounding rubber diameter.

IMG_2703.jpeg

Edited by visionaut
added pic & Qs