• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ATE Tii brake M/C wrong grommet. Need Part # Please

Go to solution Solved by Stevenc22,

@visionaut, you shouldn't need to bleed the brakes as long as you don't touch the brake pedal. As long as there is a bit of fluid above the inlet ports of the MC and no air is let in, should be good. Ditto with the clutch circuit, there will still be fluid in the hose above the MC inlet port. But, if you're due for a brake fluid change anyway, go for it.

I have been stuck in the same scenario on a weekend, replacing the master cylinder on my 2002tii, but forgot to order the correct grommets for the inlet elbows. Luckily I work at a Porsche shop and we had the 911-sized grommets and elbows in stock, which are the same 22mm OD as used in the tii MC :) 

Here are four links that show pictures so one can compare the Porsche and BMW parts---the Porsche version uses a larger ID grommet/OD elbow fitting, I think 10mm. This will not help everyone who is stuck on a weekend without parts, but perhaps one could be acquired more quickly that the other:

WWW.PELICANPARTS.COM

Ate Grommet Brake Master Cylinder to Reservoir $2.96. Call (310)626-8765. May Qualify For FREE SHIPPING. Parts# 390090 4006633178013 911 355 922 00 911-355-922-00 911.355.922.00 91135592200. 968, 944, 930, 928, 924.

WWW.PELICANPARTS.COM

Ate Brake Hose Fitting on Master Cylinder $8.49. Call (310)626-8765. May Qualify For FREE SHIPPING. Parts# 390154 4006633098472 911 355 323 00 911-355-323-00 911.355.323.00 91135532300. 930.

WWW.PELICANPARTS.COM

Genuine BMW Brake Master Cylinder Connector Master Cylinder to Hose Connector Elbow InStock Ships Today! $5.00. Call (310)626-8765. May Qualify For FREE SHIPPING. Parts# 34 32 1 102 282 34-32-1-102-282 34.32.1.102.282 34321102282. Bavaria, 633CSi, 630CSi, 530i, 528i, 3.0Si, 3.0S...

Edited by cda951
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Chris A.

---'73 BMW 2002tii road rally car, '86 Porsche 944 Turbo track rat, '90 Porsche 944S2 Cab daily/touring car, '81 Alfa Romeo GTV6 GT car/Copart special, '99 BMW Z3 Coupe daily driver/dog car, '74 Jensen-Healey roadster 
---other stuff

58 minutes ago, cda951 said:

As long as there is a bit of fluid above the inlet ports of the MC and no air is let in, should be good. Ditto with the clutch circuit, there will still be fluid in the hose above the MC inlet port. But, if you're due for a brake fluid change anyway, go for it.

Chris, well the outlets on both the clutch and front circuits were exposed on the reservoir… And the front cracked/leaked right at the elbow bend going into the grommet, and I’ll be replacing both of those. I’m unsure I can replace the supply side on the master without disturbing the integrity of the output side. ?

But it gives me chance to use the Motive which I usually enjoy. It can use the full change anyway for spring… (blue to clear this time).

I know the bleed sequence for my brakes, not sure if I remember offhand if there’s anything special re: the clutch… 

Tom

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

Hi Tom,

By "inlet," I mean the inlet of the master cylinder, which is just below the grommet for each circuit. As long as air does not enter the master cylinder, the pressure portion of the brake hydraulic circuit should not take in any air.

If using a pressure bleeder, one should over-fill the reservoir to ensure that when the fluid is pressurized by the bleeder, the fluid level doesn't drop below the level of the clutch circuit outlet to the hose---if the level drops below this, air is introduced, which will then make its way past the inlet of the clutch master cylinder and into the pressure portion of the circuit.

• Thanks 1

Chris A.

---'73 BMW 2002tii road rally car, '86 Porsche 944 Turbo track rat, '90 Porsche 944S2 Cab daily/touring car, '81 Alfa Romeo GTV6 GT car/Copart special, '99 BMW Z3 Coupe daily driver/dog car, '74 Jensen-Healey roadster 
---other stuff

Agreed. a crack in the elbow above the MC wont likely let air into the circuit and bleeding is not necessary. Be careful with the pressure bleeder, i actually blew the clutch line off the clutch master from the pressure bleeder since its just a press fit in.

• Thanks 1

1976 BMW 2002 Chamonix. My first love.

1972 BMW 2002tii Polaris. My new side piece.

epilogue:

I elected to try just swapping one today, so I can drive the car a bit before swapping the other and doing my full fluid change... (It’s a drug I tell ya).

Extraction of the two elbow remnants was easy with a plier ( it was a harder black plastic, slightly shorter top leg).

I was able to reuse my existing blue supply line.

Found a washer, replaced the washer. I surmise it’s to prevent the grommet getting sucked in (?); height is right with it..

Topped off the reservoir. Started ‘er up, tried out the pedal. Seems solid/ok…

Thx guys!

Tom

• Like 1

Another tip:  Denatured alcohol is your friend for cleaning up brake fluid.  Anyone with a pressure bleeder knows that 😁

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

FWIW, both the 17mm and the larger 22mm grommets are available at FCP Euro too.. FCP also had the elbows & washers.

22x8

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/audi-brake-master-cylinder-grommet-34311121911

17x6.5

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-brake-master-cylinder-reservoir-grommet-ate-34311103205