• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can anyone confirm this is the correct airbox for my 73 tii?

In looking for the factory airbox, can anyone confirm if this would be the correct one for my 1973 2002tii? Also, does it appear complete? Does it have a mounting bracket or how does it attach? Previous owner put a K&N on mine so I  have no frame of reference. Thanks!!

59ACD9C7-4472-4875-B37F-50F843B21E86.jpeg

The center section, at minimum, is from a 1974 U.S.-spec tii: it has a bracket for the vacuum limiter valve only found on 1974 U.S. models (see first photo below, with the bracket circled in red).

There are two separate brackets that attach the housing to the two brackets that have been welded onto a tii’s left inner fender. Finding those two brackets, on a stand-alone basis, can be a challenge. Optimally, but rarely, you can find a tii airbox complete with those brackets (second photo below shows a 1972/73 tii airbox, with the two separate brackets).

Regards,

Steve

IMG_2952.jpeg

IMG_2570.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

The front air horn on the 74tii US has a little dent in the front.  I believe that the rear air horns were the same for all tii years.  It's hard to tell from your picture if the front has the '74 dent or not.  

Here's the pics from my '74

74tiiAirBox1.jpg

74tiiAirBox2.jpg

Edited by JohnS
  • Thanks 1

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

If you have the brackets on the fender the ones on the air box can be fabricated with out a lot of tooling or anything special.

• Thanks 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Thank you all for the input! Given the scarcity of these, do you all think it’s worth getting this one and fabricating or do you think I’m better off to stay patient? I don’t really have a pulse yet on the used market for parts for these cars just yet. Thanks!!

Just now, Son of Marty said:

If you have the brackets on the fender the ones on the air box can be fabricated with out a lot of tooling or anything special.

Thank you, I don’t believe I do, but going to check now. 

23 minutes ago, Son of Marty said:

@Son of Marty these are what I have on the fender well, are they the remnants of where the factory airbox bolted to? Thanks! 

IMG_0260.jpeg

IMG_0261.jpeg

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JohnS said:

74tiiAirBox2.jpg

+1

Here’s another view of the “hose accommodation dent” on 1974 U.S. tii’s. I believe Euro-spec tii’s for 1974 and 1975 share this feature. Attached below, shown at left, is a pre-1974 front snorkel; right is the front snorkel for 1974 and 1975, the latter model year only available outside the U.S.

While there’s generally not lots of tii airboxes listed for sale simultaneously, I don’t consider them particularly rare. I, for instance, probably wouldn’t jump at the first airbox I saw…

Regards,

Steve

0D6AE2D5-DDD1-4D02-92C4-F07D30C3A5DC.jpeg

• Thanks 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Another tidbit of differences when shopping for the center section piece.  Not all of them have the little pipe which connects to the gas tank vent hose on US cars.  I ran into this when I restored an airbox.  Not having the pipe I assume is from a Euro car?  Or an early tii?  Not sure.  Differences, Details...

My '73 and '74 US cars both have the little pipe.  Do early US cars 72s have it?

TiiEuroCenterSction.jpg

Edited by JohnS
  • Thanks 1

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

2 hours ago, JohnS said:

Another tidbit of differences when shopping for the center section piece.  Not all of them have the little pipe which connects to the gas tank vent hose on US cars.  I ran into this when I restored an airbox.  Not having the pipe I assume is from a Euro car?  Or an early tii?  Not sure.  Differences, Details...

My '73 and '74 US cars both have the little pipe.  Do early US cars 72s have it?

TiiEuroCenterSction.jpg

European spec tii doesn’t capture fuel vapors from the tank, so that nipple isn’t present, along with the line running thru the cabin, nor the plastic expansion tank under the rear shelf.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"