• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Installing a 1974 Tii Gas Tank in a 1976

Go to solution Solved by JohnS,

I purchased a 1974 Tii engine along with all accessories. Has anyone installed the Tii tank in a 1976 model year?

The 5mph bumper reinforcement is in the way. I’m not using the factory bumpers  so, is there going to be a structural issue if I cut the reinforcement so the tank will fit?

if the tank does not fit because the corner closest to the tail light is round, you have a tank from a 73 or maybe a 72. the area that you want to cut is not a concern if you will be using a chrome bumper and not the dampener style bumper. you will be doing a substantial amount of metal removal on the trunk floor to make it fit. post some pictures of you concern so we can see it. additionally you will need to cut four large holes in the reinforcement to be able to put the hardware on the bumper during install. you should do this before mounting the tank.

• Like 1

stone racing co

phila pa 19123

@stone02 I'll get you some before and after pictures tomorrow. I'm actually using the fiberglass bumper from IE. I'll be making some custom brackets to hold the bumper to the body.  I will not be using the 5mpg bumber slots. The tank is from a 74 Tii. I didn't think it would be a problem but, its better to check first cut last.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but a 74 tii fuel tank should fit any US spec square tail light 02. All US spec 74-76 02's came with diving board bumpers had the 5 MPH reinforcement rails. 

• Like 2

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

1 minute ago, Gordon said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but a 74 tii fuel tank should fit any US spec square tail light 02. All US spec 74-76 02's came with diving board bumpers had the 5 MPH reinforcement rails. 

Correct, the only difference is the total height of the tank. 

Karl B.

1974 2002tii Malaga ("Conrad") -->> Conrad's Restoration Blog

2003 330i ZHP 6-spd

2011 328i xDrive

10 hours ago, bergie33 said:

Was the 74tii that it was from possibly modified or a euro car? 

Adding nothing new, the U.S. square taillights (1975-76 model years), because of the mandated body reinforcements, required a cropped right rear corner for their fuel tanks. As Gordon mentioned, capacity went from 46 liters to 51 liters, by increasing the depth of the tank. I don’t know what Euro square taillight cars required — cropped corner or “not-cropped” corner — I only know U.S. models.

The first photo below shows the original fuel tank in my ‘73 tii (VIN 2762757). It is, of course, not cropped. Surely someone here has a good photo of a cropped square taillight tank, in place — tii or carbed. The closest photo I have shows the cropped corner, but not well (second photo)!

Regards,

Steve

IMG_2322.jpeg

IMG_2068.jpeg

• Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Just spoke with the previous owner about the tank. He had to replace the tank during restoration and never test fitted the tank. So that clears up any confusion on my part. On to cutting. I’ll post some photos when I’m finished. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Solution
Posted (edited)

Here's the original tank on my 1974tii USA version. Is this one cropped?  @John76 for the tip on adding that extra ground wire to the fuel level sensor on the tank.  No more jumpy fuel level needle on the dash when right side blinker is on.

74tiiTank1.jpg

74tiiTank2.jpg

Edited by JohnS

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

@JohnS  thanks for the extra ground tip. @Conserv and the pictures.  I didn’t get around to cutting the section out. Do you know if there are any reproduction ‘74 takes available? I’d rather do that than cut. Then I could sell my current one.