• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What holds the emergency brake button in?

Posted (edited)

This thread should help.

Tom

edit, I started by searching emergency brake and the found it with parking brake.  Apparently hand brake, or handbrake would have worked too.  Funny the difference a word or two makes when searching.

Edited by '76mintgrün'02

Screenshot_2024-05-12-09-00-23-339_com.android.chrome-edit.thumb.jpg.e24774b4787f07f1d82b1a968328e169.jpg

The hook at the end is retained by/hooks over the pawl. The pawl only stays in place when the ratchet is in-place...the ratchet only stays in-place when the pivot pin is fitted... 

• Like 1

'59 Morris Minor, '67 Triumph TR4A, '68 Silver Shadow, '72 2002tii, '73 Jaguar E-Type,

'73 2002tii w/Alpina mods , '74 2002turbo, '85 Alfa Spider, '03 Lotus Elise

OMG, 'the rod end it threaded'...........I've fought a button that was way way inside the handle shaft for years.  I'll check this out tomorrow.  I love this forum......

Skii

• Like 1

Is it just me or should there be more clearance between the button and the end of the console? I notice this on mine.

'67 Derby Grey VW Beetle

'76 Inka BMW 2002

Thanks, both of you. I looked at that picture ten times and managed to miss that the hook fits around the pawl, and doesn’t push against it. 

Dennis

10 hours ago, VWScott said:

Is it just me or should there be more clearance between the button and the end of the console? I notice this on mine.

I set my push button height so it just clears with my thumb atop… lol

I believe the cause for me is my console faceplate and shift surround sits slightly more rearward (cuz AC and my low headunit location) - which puts the handbrake button closer (see above pic).

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

18 hours ago, John in VA said:

How far the handle is pushed on will also affect how much of the button is showing.

The first thing Patrick at Midnight Motorsports did when he test drove my new-to-me car was to muscle the plastic/rubber/whatever handle back onto the lever to expose more of the button. Lol.