• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Colorado tii - Is it just a pipedream?

Hi all, I'm a newbie to the forum and a longtime admirer of the 2002. The holy grail for me would be a Colorado tii, roundie, with a sunroof. Should I just give up now? If anybody knows of one that may become available, I'm all ears. 

I've never sat in an 02. Do they have a comfortable driving position for a driver that's 6'1"? I had an '67 MGB-GT for a while and it was amazingly comfortable to drive for long periods. The driving position was just about perfect. My '60 VW Single Cab pickup is rather awkward to drive for a tall long-legged driver because the pedals are so far back. But it's all part of the experience! 

Cheers 🍻

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Adrian said:

Hi all, I'm a newbie to the forum and a longtime admirer of the 2002. The holy grail for me would be a Colorado tii, roundie, with a sunroof. Should I just give up now? If anybody knows of one that may become available, I'm all ears. 

I've never sat in an 02. Do they have a comfortable driving position for a driver that's 6'1"? I had an '67 MGB-GT for a while and it was amazingly comfortable to drive for long periods. The driving position was just about perfect. My '60 VW Single Cab pickup is rather awkward to drive for a tall long-legged driver because the pedals are so far back. But it's all part of the experience! 

Cheers 🍻

I wouldn’t call it a pipe dream, but that’s a super desirable spec, so a good one won’t be cheap. Definitely doable, just hold out till you find what you want. 

Mine is has more than enough room for me at 5’11”. I don’t think you’ll be too cramped at 6’1”. Though I would recommend finding someone with an 02 soon who you can sweet talk into letting you sit in it. 

• Like 1

'74 2002tii 

Maximum honk

Not sure where you’re located, but there has to be an ‘02 that lives near you and maybe goes to the local cars and coffee type event.

my 6’ 4” son has no problem fitting comfortably in my ‘72.

in terms of the spec you desire…anything is possible with the right budget 😉

• Like 2

Find a good sunroof roundie Tii and paint it Colorado.  That would be easier then waiting.  Unless you're a collector and a stickler for originality.  You might wait forever to find a car in that spec.  When you find it it might be in really poor condition requiring a ton of money to make right.  A paint job is much simpler if the car is in good shape.  Trying to make all those stars align will be tough.

Heck, I would be happy to find a nice Colorado 02 sunroof roundie even if it wasn't a tii.  Then you could modify the crap out of it and not worry about ruining a good tii.

• Like 4

Mike Katsoris CCA#13294                                                

74 InkaGangster 4281862

2016 Porsche Boxster Spyder,    2004 BMW R1150RT,  
76 Estorilblau 2740318                      

Thanks guys for your ideas! As dumb as it is, I do tend to shy away from cars with a color change. A Sunfroof tii in Taiga would also be fun. And a carbureted sunfroom Colorado would also suit me just fine.

I would love to know what you guys can find wrong with this car for sale at the infamous Beverly Hills Car Club. I don't think they are capable of selling a car that isn't a lipstick covered pig. This one has had a lot of recent work and looks really clean but I'm sure there's something major wrong with it. The only thing that jumps out to me is the patch work on the driver and passenger floors, as seen from underneath. The seats are from a later car from what I can tell. I'm curious what all has been modified and if it's possible to tell whether it's a real tii. It's missing the rear emblem which makes me a little suspicious. It is on the registry here under 2761085. The last invoice on the listing has the VIN.

WWW.BEVERLYHILLSCARCLUB.COM

1972 BMW 2002tii Presenting this 1972 BMW 2002tii that is finished in a color scheme of Taiga Green Metallic complemented with a Black interior. This original California car is equipped with a manual transmission, fuel-injected inline-four engine, front-wheel disc brakes, VDO...

It's rocking a non-tii fuel tank. Original tii tanks have a separate fuel pickup and level sender, that car has the carb-style tank. The VIN checks out as a tii, so I imagine it needed a new tank and they couldn't find an OG tii part. I have run into the same thing and ended up cleaning my old tank. No idea if a carb tank will work, but I suspect that if it did you'd see that mod more often. The floor repairs don't look awful, but they definitely were done with sheet steel instead of stamped patches by the looks of things. Without looking at it, it could be a decent tii, but IMHO they're asking a lot of money for it and there's a lot of non-original stuff. If it's sound it'd make a very cool driver, but with the trim and badging gone, the under-dash panels gone, and the weird fuel tank, it's gonna get purists' hackles up. 

• Like 2

'74 2002tii 

Maximum honk

Someone spent some serious money on parts (IE swaybars, Koogle strut brace, lux door panels, silver dollar cluster, e21 recaros, refinished subframes, minilites)... and I'm just guessing here.... but he/she became heart broken when the body shop failed to produce a finish commiserate to the restorer's vision.  Hence why it's now in the hands of someone like BHCC. 

-no waist/rear trim (harder to restore/source when the car appears to have been restored, indicative of cut corners).

-front replacement nose fitment off.
-hood lead edge parrot-nosed

-rear panel sunken in

-floor repairs with no close ups

-rockers painted black with no close ups

-uneven lower body lines

It COULD be "the perfect car", but one would need to accept the bodywork as is or have it redone.  As is, the car sits in a restoration purgatory.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Right now is a great time to look out for abandoned projects.  There were a lot of people who jumped in on restorations in the last ten years who are now looking at falling/desperate market coupled with a grudging acknowledgement of a lack of time/skills/money.  I've seen more half finished decent cars for sale in the past six months than I've seen in the past six years.

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

This forum is awesome! Thanks guys for taking the time to point these things out. My untrained eyes, with this model, would not have caught most of these things.

26 minutes ago, Aaron R said:

The VIN checks out as a tii

@Aaron R How did you confirm the VIN? This would be useful when verifying future tii listings. I tried to do a search but just found the registry, which is really great to have here, but didn't give any more info than I had. 

Thanks @AceAndrew for your keen eye and the idea about restoration projects. I definitely want to stay away from anything with so many visible red flags in the body work. It's gotta just be the tip of the iceberg.

Edited by Adrian

Welcome Adrian!

I don't think the experience will disappoint.
You can subscribe to Bring a Trailler for 2002tii and see market & availability. IMO, BaT tends to fetch higher than average sale prices.

BRINGATRAILER.COM

Browse and bid online for the chance to own a BMW 2002tii at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online.

• Like 1

1976 2002 - Segundo

1936 Ford pickup hotrod, 2010 Honda Ridgeline

Segundo blog

Paoli (PA) Car Show - Oct 5, 2024

32 minutes ago, Adrian said:

This forum is awesome! Thanks guys for taking the time to point these things out. My untrained eyes, with this model, would not have caught most of these things.

@Aaron R How did you confirm the VIN? This would be useful when verifying future tii listings. I tried to do a search but just found the registry, which is really great to have here, but didn't give any more info than I had. 

Thanks @AceAndrew for your keen eye and the idea about restoration projects. I definitely want to stay away from anything with so many visible red flags in the body work. It's gotta just be the tip of the iceberg.

@Adrian You can punch it in to the decoder at the BMW Club of Colombia's website here: 

WWW.BMWCLASICOS.COM

Grab some Official Merchandise from BMW Club Clásicos Colombia.

It'll tell you year, original market, and whether it's an OG tii or a regular 2002. Doesn't go as far as original color, but super useful to verify stuff.  

• Like 1

'74 2002tii 

Maximum honk

50 minutes ago, AceAndrew said:

Someone spent some serious money on parts ... silver dollar cluster

One of the things I really like on a '72- 73tii is the original blacked out cluster from that model year.  No silver dollars for me...

• Like 1

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️